Sue Huntley

Mike Thoele, Tri-County News

Scott Ankeny

Kelli Fountain

Linda B

Ed Rogers

Tony Ceniga

WORK SESSION

Vice-Chair Trummer called the work session to order at 5:30 p.m. Vice-Chair Trummer – Enclosed in your packets was a summary form that was submitted to us by Stephanie and it reflects the evaluations that several board members sent in. Are there are any questions about the evaluation or are there any clarifying comments or remarks? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I would just want to give to the board a copy of another board member’s evaluation that came in after this was put together. This evaluation is not incorporated into the summary that you have in front of you. Mike Tucker – I think this represents pretty well the job that Kate does. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I appreciate the time people took in completing this. As I have said in the past, the parts that are most helpful to me are the comments that the board members provide. Mike Tucker – I would like to reiterate what I wrote in my evaluation. It has to do with the way you treat people and your kindness and the way you are always welcoming to input even though it might be different from yours. There isn’t a place on this form to put this, but you have such an open and engaging manner and anytime someone has something they want to come and talk to you about, they can come and do it. It’s just nice working with someone who has that kind of attitude toward people. Denise Pratt – That is true for the board, and it is also true for the community and staff. It’s hard on this form because there is no place to talk about your character. It’s probably not appropriate in a situation like this, but it’s such a blessing to participate on a board with somebody who has such a high standard for themselves, and that pretty consistently lifts us, as a board, up to that standard as well; and I really appreciate it. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Thank you. I really didn’t plan this to be so public so I could have all of these compliments heard in front of all of these people. I really do appreciate the time that you took to fill these out, your thoughts, and the feedback; and I appreciate the work that you do as board members and your encouragement and support of me. Thank you. Vice-Chair Trummer – For this work session, is there a consensus from the board to have this collection of forms and this additional form, and of course Judy’s additional form represent the Superintendent’s summative evaluation? It was a consensus from the board to have this collection of forms, including Jacque and Judy’s forms, represent the Superintendent’s summative evaluation.

Work session adjourned at 5:44 p.m.

BUDGET HEARING

Vice-Chair Trummer called the budget hearing to order at 5:45 p.m. Vice-Chair Trummer – This is the last opportunity for public comment on the proposed 07-08 budget before it is adopted by the board. Are there any comments? Jill Schmitt – I would like the board to consider more money for raises. Julie Ankeny – The classified bargaining team has spent many hours during this past school year trying to work out a satisfactory contract for the classified employees with the district. At our last meeting on Wednesday, we were told that the board had not authorized the district bargainers to offer us any more money. We are here to ask that you seriously reconsider this position. The district will be given significant financial support from the state for 07/08 and 08/09. We are thrilled that these resources are available to meet the need for additional staff, equipment, and programs. As you busily move forward with all of this, please do not forget those who weathered the storm with you when financial resources were limited. The classified staff – instructional assistants, cooks, custodians, and secretaries were understanding and worked hard, like everyone else to “make due” with less. We ask that you reward the classified staff for their dedication and loyalty to the district and its goals of educating our children. We need the salary and insurance increases proposed during recent bargaining negotiations. As a sidebar – as a parent, I am very happy about the PE position. Vice-Chair Trummer – Thank you. Are there any other comments on the proposed 07-08 budget before it’s adopted by the board? Wanda – We received official notice that we will be receiving additional money in a school improvement fund. The general fund money that we will be receiving is about what we budgeted at the $6.0 billion level. In addition to that, there is $0.245 billion available to districts. There is a process where you need to apply for the money, but if you apply and you have an appropriate plan that follows the criteria that they have set, then you will more than likely get the money. The criteria is pretty narrow and so what we did, and you can see it on the white board, is the administrators met and looked at what was already in the budget, the red column, that is new for next year that would qualify under the criteria and it could be part of the school improvement fund. Our proposal is to take these items and move them to the school improvement fund, which allows us to go down on the tiers in the budget. We looked at the tiers again, reprioritized, and moved the things in the red to the school improvement fund, which gave us room to add some of the tiers. On the top of the list was the PE teacher at Laurel and Territorial, new lab at the high school, .50 FTE Oaklea health teacher, a technology assistant for Howard, and a .1 FTE instructional assistant time at the high school to help with testing. In addition to that, we had more money coming into the school improvement fund, so we looked at some more things that were on this list and some other things that would meet the criteria and the following was added: .33 FTE auto shop teacher at the high school, we brought the nurse up to full-time, more time for the college/career coach at the high school, brought the remediation teacher at the middle school up to full-time, we looked at providing seven scholarships for English-language-learners to attend the all-day kindergarten, and then looked at a summer school program, and then at the high school an Odyssey program, which is a remediation program. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – There are very specific things that school districts will be approved to spend the school improvement money on, which is why we had to move some of the items that had been added in the general fund to the school improvement fund. The bottom line is that the funds are to be spent on programs to boost student achievement and the things that the legislature identified are: 1) Early childhood support, including pre-kindergarten and full-day kindergarten. That is how we got to the place where we were looking at being able to offer more slots to economically disadvantaged kids who don’t have English as a first language, in our all-day kindergarten program, which currently is a fee-based program. 2) Class size reduction, focusing on K-3. That was a little trickier because we do have a class size reduction teacher planned in the budget, but it was for the 4 th grade, so that was one of those things that we had to leave in the first tier additions in the general fund. 3) Summer programs and before and after school programs. Again, summer school and extended-day kinds of programs that you see listed there would be appropriate uses of the school improvement fund. 4) Mentoring, teacher retention, professional development. We are looking to enhance the funds available for professional development for our teaching staff as well as having some more of our administrative time dedicated specifically to mentoring and particularly with the goal of retaining special ed staff. 5) Remediation, alternative learning, student retention. Those are the kinds of things that you see there with respect to the remediation teacher, the Odyssey program, and so on. 6) Services to at-risk youth. We see the increase in the nursing time being a great way to address that, allowing her a little more time to do some social service connections for kids. 7) Programs targeting the achievement gap. Again that piece with the ELL students having the opportunity to be in an all-day kindergarten and have more language emersion. 8) Vocational education. A number of the things that we are suggesting fit into that, including the auto shop program, reinstituting some small engine course work. The college career coach position, which will hopefully give kids more just-in-time information about opportunities for colleges or different kinds of careers or professions. 9) Literacy programs and other research-based student improvement strategies approved by the state board of education. When we have something that isn’t just exactly point on that list, we are going to have to go to the ODE website, find the reference to the research-based strategies and cite that in our application. Denise – What kind of hope do we have that they will offer us enough money to keep these programs in the future? They all sound wonderful and I am so happy to have them, I don’t want it to be a one-year thing. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I can appreciate that, and that is something that we are all a little nervous about. We do know that the intention is for the funding to be there for the biennium, and what we have heard, although no one has stated this under oath, is that the intention would be for that money, in the next biennium, to become part of just the base general fund budget. That is the way we are going to suggest that we approach this, is to look at these things over the next two years and of course evaluate their effectiveness and make sure that they are a good fit for us, but also to make it clear that this really does need to be our basic program; that these aren’t just fluffy add-on things, these are things that we need to be doing to help improve students’ achievement and help prepare kids for life after Junction City School District. Jacque – But right now we are treating these as one-time shot money, school improvement only? Wanda – We have to keep this completely separate so we can report back to the state how we spent the money. We have to ask for the money and provide a plan first and then report to them how we did spend it and probably give them a summary of how effective it was. When we put the budget together, we accepted that there was a good possibility that we might be receiving this money, so we put this budget together with that in mind, so we really don’t have to make any changes in the budget when we adopt it because we budgeted enough so that we could cover these expenditures. Vice-Chair Trummer – When we get to the 08-09 budgeting in the spring, we will want to dig this up and use exactly these same numbers, right? Wanda – They could increase slightly in the second year and they usually do a 49%-51% split between the two years. Vice-Chair Trummer – Thanks Wanda. Are there any other comments from the public about the 07-08 budget before it’s adopted by the board? No.

Budget Hearing adjourned at 5:57 p.m.

BOARD MEETING

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO APPROVE RESOLUTION 2006-07 #14 – ADJUSTING APPROPRIATIONS IN GENERAL FUND, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR PRATT SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE CONSENT AGENDA AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR PRATT, TO APPROVE BUDGET RESOLUTIONS 2007-08 # 10, 11, AND 12, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR CROCE, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO APPROVE JBL&K RISK SERVICES (FORMALLY CRAMER AND GILES) AS INSURANCE CARRIERS FOR 2007-08, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERGES, TO APPROVE THE HIRING OF BEAU DUSSELL AS 4 TH GRADE TEACHER AT LAUREL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, BEGINNING THE 2007-08 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR CROCE, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERGES, TO APPROVE THE HIRING OF STACY HOWARD AS A SELF-CONTAINED SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER AT LAUREL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, BEGINNING THE 2007-08 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR GERDES, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE HIRING OF ANN EDWARDS AS 2 ND GRADE TEACHER AT LAUREL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, BEGINNING THE 2007-08 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERGES, TO APPROVE THE HIRING OF CAT JENKINS AS TEMPORARY ELEMENTARY SUMMER SCHOOL READING TEACHER AT LAUREL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, BEGINNING JULY 16, 2007 THROUGH AUGUST 2, 2007, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR CROCE, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERGES, TO APPROVE THE HIRING OF SUE HUNTLEY AS TEMPORARY ELEMENTARY SUMMER SCHOOL READING TEACHER AT LAUREL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, BEGINNING JULY 16, 2007 THROUGH AUGUST 2, 2007, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR GERDES, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR PRATT, TO APPROVE THE ADOPTION OF LANGUAGE ARTS TEXTBOOKS, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR PRATT, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO APPROVE THE ALTERNATIVE EDUCATION PROGRAMS FOR 2007-08, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE SUPERINTENDENT’S EVALUATION FOR 2006-07, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE SUPERINTENDENT’S CONTRACT FOR 2007-2010, AS PRESENTED.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO AMEND THE FIRST MOTION AND APPROVE A FINANCIAL REOPENER IN 2008. The motion was APPROVED 4-1 with Director Pratt voting no.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TRUMMER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE SUPERINTENDENT’S CONTRACT FOR 2007-2010, WITH A FINANCIAL REOPENER IN 2008, AS AMENDED. The motion FAILED 4-2 with Directors Pratt and Trummer voting no.

Denise – Could someone please explain to me, if we were not where we were at in this bargaining process, would you feel the same way? I guess your argument hasn’t swayed me as to why we shouldn’t be as concerned that our superintendent is not at the average as we are concerned about every other group in our district. Judy – I have been on both the teacher and the classified bargaining teams and when we budget and when we bargain, we have set numbers. Denise – We have done the comparisons. Judy – We have done the comparisons but very often we set what we can afford at the time, first before we do our comparisons, before we do our average, and we try to not be concerned about the average. I mean, yes, we want everyone to be average or above, but we also want to make sure that everything on our budge is moving ahead, we want to be rebuilding everything; we want to add additional; we want to take care of our students. Denise – I absolutely agree with you, but we have done that with every group except this one. Mike Tucker – This is a little bit different; we are always offering them less, and we are offering her more. I suggest that we have reached an impasse here and I don’t see anything really fruitful coming out of this. I think we have a couple of people that aren’t going to change their minds. Maybe we should table this until we have more people? When does your contract run out? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – June 30 th, so I would like to get this resolved tonight. I proposed a contract for the board to consider. I made my proposal based on a careful consideration of the increases that have been afforded to other employees in this district; the administrators in particular. I made that proposal in good faith, in the time since I have learned a little more about other contracts. I would feel fine about resolving this by asking the board to accept my proposed contract for year one and I would like to come back and ask the board to reconsider my salary beginning in the 2008-09 school year, and to be upfront, it is probably likely that at that time I would be looking again at the averages and probably making a proposal that looks different than just the cost of living because as Denise said, at that point in time my salary is going to be farther away from the average than it is now and that it would be even farther next school year. I would like to get this resolved because we have set a standard of no retroactivity and I would rather have what I proposed than nothing at all. Please understand that I do appreciate the support from the board. Mike Tucker – With that in mind, I would like to resubmit the initial motion.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO RECONSIDER THE MOTION TO APPROVE THE SUPERINTENDENT’S CONTRACT FOR 2007-2010, WITH A FINANCIAL REOPENER IN 2008, AS AMENDED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE SUPERINTENDENT’S CONTRACT FOR 2007-2010, WITH A FINANCIAL REOPENER IN 2008, AS AMENDED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR PRATT TO CLOSE NOMINATIONS AND CAST A VOTE FOR RANDY TRUMMER FOR CHAIR 2007-08. The motion for Randy Trummer was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present. Randy Trummer will serve as chair for 2007-08 school year.

Mike Bonner was nominated for the office of Vice-Chair. A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR GERDES, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR PRATT, TO CLOSE NOMINATIONS AND CAST A UNANIMOUS VOTE FOR MIKE BONNER FOR VICE-CHAIR. The motion was APPROVED 4-1with Director Tucker voting no. Mike Bonner will serve as Vice-Chair for the 2007-08 school year.

Mike Tucker voted no because he wanted Jacque Gerdes to serve as vice-chair.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR PRATT, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE REQUEST FOR VOLUNTARY REDUCTION IN FTE FOR AMY LESAN, PRINCIPAL AT LAUREL ELEMENTARY, FROM 1.0 FTE TO .50 FTE FOR THE 2007-08 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Bill Bechen showed a slideshow that spoke to the advantages of school-wide and that is what this application is all about. Targeted Assistance Title Program – Students identified through testing and teacher recommendation; parents informed and asked for permission to serve child; students were pulled out of the regular education classroom for instruction; Title IA’s taught pull-out groups; little coordination between Title and regular education classrooms; served approximately 150 students. School-Wide Model Piloted in 2006-07 – School-wide testing; data provided to teams to make instructional decisions; assistants assigned to grade level teams for flooding; Title I instruction occurred primarily in the classroom; 182 total students served (35 kindergarteners, 32 1 st graders, 42 2 nd graders, 45 3 rd graders, 28 4 th graders). Other Components – Extended day – 81 students served K-4; intervention team – reviewed 54 student referrals and 32 students served through Title; CCC Computers – served 116 students (at-risk and TAG). School-Wide Application Process – School-Wide Committee – Gathered and reviewed data – student surveys, parent surveys, teacher surveys, assistant surveys, student academic performance, demographic information. Shared information with – parents, school board, Laurel staff, and district office. Application was completed and submitted to the Oregon Department of Education on June 15, 2007.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR CROCE, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO MOVE DISCUSSION ITEM D – FACILITIES ASSESSMENT BIDS, TO AN ACTION ITEM. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR CROCE, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR PRATT, TO AUTHORIZE CHRIS MEYER TO CALL GLAS AND INQUIRE ABOUT ADDING THE ATHLETIC COMPLEX AND GROUNDS INTO THEIR ASSESSMENT AND CONFER WITH SUPERINTENDNET RODDEN-NORD ABOUT IT AND ENTER INTO AN ASSESSMENT CONTRACT WITH GLAS, NOT TO EXCEED $75,000. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Vice-Chair Trummer – Linda Bruncheon has a comment. Linda Bruncheon – I am here about using the high school parking lot during festival. Last year signs were posted stating that vehicles would be towed if they were parked in the lot. I have submitted a facilities use form. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – The application went to Craig Rothenberger, who is our facilities use coordinator. He was tied up in basketball camp from 8:00 a.m. until late hours all last week. I did leave him a voice mail and let him know that I would like to get together with him to get closure on this. He is the person who looks at the policy and regulation that sets forth the fees for the different types of groups and comes up with whatever seems appropriate given the request and the length of time and the kinds of facilities that are being requested. One of the questions that I had on the use form was the request for the showers because that implicates custodial time and security issues so I wanted to have an opportunity to talk with Craig about that. I will certainly let Craig know that time is a major concern for you and that you would like to have an answer by Thursday.

Adjourn at 9:20 p.m.

Superintendent/Clerk             Chair, Board of Directors