Kristi Stahl

Tim Johnson

Rebecca Smith

Laurel Students – 8

Parents – 10

Mike Thoele, Tri-County News

Ed Rogers

Katy DeHaven

We also have several students who qualified for other state meets; doubles partners Erin Iskra and Camille Reerslev and singles player Kristin Wiley represented the Tigers at the State Tennis Meet, and golfer Josh Anderson was the first Tiger golfer to qualify for State in about 5 years! Our girls’ softball team finished 2 nd in league play, and tomorrow will have their first round of State playoffs, hosting Rogue River here at 4:30. We are proud of all of these kids!

Our FFA students also are State Champions, with the Nursery/Landscaping Team winning 1 st in State by over 400 points! This team is comprised of Michael Morrison, Melissa Glass, Ashly Ann Lemhouse, Caelah Loper, Taylor Kemp, Laura Walton, and Tyler Tibbits. The team will compete at the National level in October.

The high school reports that planning for the Freshman Program changes is proceeding smoothly, thanks to the leadership of teachers Becci Buenau, Colleen Gaskill, and Chris Bolton. In addition to the changes to the freshman program, the high school’s site council will be targeting the following areas in their 2007-11 school improvement plan: Improvements in student achievement and post-secondary advising.

Please remember the following upcoming activities, including the Soroptimists Senior Dinner, tonight at 7:30. On May 24 th, the FFA banquet will take place at 6:30 in the cafeteria; on May 31 st, there will be an all-school awards assembly and then a music concert at 7:00 p.m. Then, June 7 th at 7:00 in the high school cafeteria, there will be the annual senior dessert, and of course, graduation will take place on June 9 th at 3:00 at Peden Field.

At Oaklea, parents of incoming students have had the opportunity to visit Oaklea and hear from the administrative, counseling, and teaching staff about the middle school program. Most students who will be transitioning from Laurel and Territorial to Oaklea have had an opportunity to visit the middle school.

Oaklea’s track season ended on a great note with wonderful weather for the District Meet on May 16 th. The track awards will be presented on Thursday, May 24 th and we would like to offer a special thanks to coaches Shireen Malpass and Gary Meininger, and their assistant coaches Lindsay Nelson, Ralph Davis, and Lee Magnusson.

Long-time Oaklea head custodian Ron Teem is retiring as of May 31 st, but not without daily reminders of how much he is appreciated and needed. The staff room includes a wall that is filled with notes from staff and photos for Ron. Mr. Endersby shared that “It is not unusual to hear Ron reply to a request that ‘this is the last time I will choose to do this for you…’ and then Ron whistles on down the hallway with a grin on his face!” The staff will be having a farewell luncheon for Ron this Friday; he sure will be missed!

There are a couple of special activities scheduled at Oaklea before the end of the year. There will be a choir concert on June 5 th that will feature students from grades 6 through 8. Awards assemblies will be held on June 8 th for 5 th/6 th graders, and on June 11 th for 7 th/8 th graders. 8 th grade recognition will be held at Oaklea on Tuesday, June 12 th at 7:00 p.m., with an 8 th graders only dance following the ceremony.

Laurel students and staff have been busy this past month as well. The Laurel Parent Group put on another fabulous Family Fun Night, and also recently funded a Tropical Rainforest-themed assembly that included a live alligator. Laurel students enjoyed their first annual Safety Week and are very thankful to all of those who presented safety information to the students.

Laurel students are finishing their state assessments, and the staff is busy working on next year’s schedule and a draft progress report to be implemented at the end of the year and revised as needed. The 1 st and 2 nd grade teachers recently participated in a Writers’ Workshop training offered by Lane ESD Consultant Robert Young, and the 3 rd and 4 th grade teachers will have this same training later this week.

This past Saturday, thanks to the efforts of Territorial parents Shannon McAdams and Kris Sherman, students enjoyed the second annual Territorial track and field day. This coincided with Territorial’s annual plant sale, which featured an excellent selection of perennials, flowers, hanging baskets, and tomatoes which were started from seed by Master Gardner and Master Teacher Barb Coolman.

Territorial students also are completing their state assessments, and are looking forward to Territorial Outdoor School which will be held June 4 th through June 8 th. The students are looking forward to learning about Native American Culture and participating in many fun (and educational) outdoor activities.

Kristi passed out a contact sheet on how to get a hold of her while she is gone. The board wished her well and told her to ‘slow down and enjoy it’.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TRUMMER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE CONSENT AGENDA AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

B.   Second Reading and Approval of Graduation Requirement Policy IKF – Revision.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR BROTHERTON, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR PRATT, TO APPROVE THE REVISION OF GRADUATION REQUIREMENT POLICY IKF, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

C.   Approve Superintendent Evaluation Form for 2006-07.

Mike Brotherton – The rating scale of 1 – 4; if she falls into the first two categories we’d have to fire her. At some point, maybe in the future, we should look at a different scale that is maybe a little more broad (1-100); which would give us a little more wiggle room. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – What I find to be most helpful are not necessarily the ratings that the board circles, but any comments that board members care to share. Chair Bonner – I just came back from a week-long training on field-training evaluation and each department’s training scale is different and what they really emphasized in the class was not necessarily the number of the rating, but the comments and feedback provided.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR CROCE, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR TRUMMER, TO APPROVE THE SUPERINTENDENT EVALUATION FORM FOR 2006-07, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Denise – Is there a Title program at Territorial? Jill – I am glad you asked that. Laurel has about 53% free and reduced lunch, I think the highest Territorial has ever had was 38% and that is the lowest amount of any of our schools except for the high school where kids don’t often sign up for free and reduced lunch. We use to have Title I at Territorial; we took a portion of money per student and used it for Instructional Assistants out there. A couple of years ago the board general funded the money so they retain the same services, but it was funded through the general fund instead of through Title funds. So Territorial didn’t lose any services and sometimes that is confusing because we hear every once in a while that the school can’t provide something because they don’t have Title funds, and that is not true. They have the general funds that use to be Title.

It was the consensus of the board to have Laurel submit the application for a school-wide Title program.

Randy – I have been asked by a couple of parents, and I also have a concern myself about cell phones in classrooms and what our overall concern, or as a board, what our policy might be that allow that kind of device to be in the classroom. In other words, it isn’t just the cell phones, it is picture phones, IPODs, MP3 players, etc. and when I sat in Jared’s classroom I spotted about three devices that kept popping out when they are supposed to be in purses or backpacks. With MP3 players and IPODs you can at least see the headphones, but with cell phones, there is text messaging going on almost non-stop and I think it is very disrupting to other kids that may want to be there to learn. I was just curious, is there a history of this at all with the board? How have we approached this in the past? Mike Tucker – This is one of the questions I have also. Personally, I think it is extremely inappropriate to have any device where you can be contacted and be disruptive to other kids in the class. It’s got to impede the learning of the student who is on the phone or texting someone. I don’t think that the educational setting is an appropriate place to have cell phones. I would like to see us have a policy where they have to leave them in their lockers. Kathryn – If they leave them in their lockers they will be stolen. Randy – In other words, students shouldn’t be bringing them to school at all? Kathryn – We have policy on that. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – It has actually been building determined practices/procedures as opposed to any kind of board policies. The middle school, for example states that: “Kids may bring devices to school but they cannot be on their person during class time.” So they are to be locked in the locker and students are informed and fully understand that if they are found to have them and have them on during class time that they are confiscated and parents need to come to retrieve them. It really is a lot more common for students to have these types of devices these days. The high school handbook says: “Students are encouraged not to bring electronic devices to school, radios, walkmans, MP3 and CD players, pagers, cell phones, etc. The school assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen personal items. The items are considered a disruption to the educational process and are not allowed in the classroom. Any electronic device that is used or is visible during class time may be confiscated by the staff member in charge.” Randy – So how do we effectively manage that? What I observed was that in the 25 kids in the classroom, easily a half to maybe 60% of those kids have these devices. So you may have 10 or 12, and that is going to take some time at the beginning of class to start confiscating those things. Kathryn – You have to understand that in certain teacher’s classes, they are never shown, and so that is something that I need to go back and talk to the teacher about who doesn’t control the fact that there are 10 or 20 of them because there are other classes where you never see one come out at all, so that really speaks to the teacher enforcing the policy. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – There are also differences in standards in the classrooms because I know one of my daughter’s teachers is very clear with the students that they are not to have electronic devices out when they would be disruptive to the instruction, but they are allowed during independent work time to use their walkmans, MP3 players, or IPODs. There are individual differences and they are not necessarily consistent with what the handbook says, and as Kathryn said, probably the place to start is back with the high school staff. Randy – Is this something that we could toy around with during the summer and think about how to bring some of that consistency back from class to class? Kathryn – Randy, you sat in one classroom, right? Randy – Yes, but I have also heard from a number of parents who have been in a number of classrooms. Kathryn – A lot of it is time and place and what is happening in the classroom at that time. I was interviewing a student and he was text messaging with one hand while he was talking to me to corroborate his story with the kid who was coming in next. So, they are there, but I think it is a question of teacher enforcement and not policy nor the board needing to give it a policy. Randy – I am not necessarily saying that we need a policy, I am just interested in how we can enforce this throughout the whole school and district. Kathryn – A lot of teachers want to have them at various points. We also have pod casts and a variety of educational reasons for those electronic devices, so that is why it says ‘teacher judgment’. Randy – I don’t see a lot of coordinated cell phone use in instruction. It may very well be in IPODs and MP3 players. Kathryn – And I was referring to those. My 6 th grade daughter has a cell phone; it’s just a fact of life anymore that kids have them. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – One of the things that we certainly can do is get some information on how other districts and other schools are dealing with this and I imagine that the dealings are going to be as varied as the schools around us, but it might be a little helpful. Mike Tucker – Why don’t we do a survey and ask all the teachers if they think it enhances education and then we’ll base our decision on that? Kathryn – You have already made your decision in the policy that is in our handbook and that is saying that you don’t want them. Mike Tucker – You don’t want them and you can’t have them are two different things. Kathryn – You want to get them off of campus? Because I can’t do the enforcement. Mike Tucker – Personally, I don’t think they belong in the classroom. Kathryn – Ok, but what I am telling you that I can’t enforce that level. Mike Tucker – You can’t? You would think you can? Katy – When a teacher is teaching a class and has their back turned while writing on the board, or reading out of a book, especially in such a large class of 30+ kids, cell phones are on silent and kids are text messaging back and forth. If teachers had to watch and pay attention to every single kid, there would be no teaching taking place. Mike Tucker – It doesn’t sound like there could be that much learning taking place either. My opinion is that there is no place for cell phones in the classroom.

Chair Bonner – You had another question Mike? Mike Tucker – We didn’t have anyone run for Mike Brotherton’s board position? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – That is correct. Mike Tucker – Do we advertise now for volunteers? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – We are waiting to hear from the Elections Office because I heard from various sources of a number of people that were conducting informal write-in campaigns. We have been checking online and they haven’t posted the results yet. As soon as we hear, I will let the board know.

Adjourn at 7:17 p.m.

Superintendent/Clerk             Chair, Board of Directors