Staff

Staff and Others

Stephanie White

Jill Case

Kate Gillow-Wiles

Mike Thoele, Tri-County News

Daniel Sorensen, Student Representative

WORK SESSION MINUTES

I.   TO DISCUSS THE REVISION OF THE BOARD GOALS AND VISION STATEMENT – Vice-Chair Trummer called the work session to order at 5:30 p.m.

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I would like everyone to take a moment and look over the minutes from the last work session because what I found helpful was reflecting back on my notes from that conversation and thinking about the key points that came up. I would like you to draw your own opinion about that and make sure that what we come up with is a reflection of what the board feels is important.

It seems to me that there were two strands that the board was talking about and thinking about for district goals. One of them was looking at the need to ensure increased student achievement for all students. We had quite a bit of conversation around reading proficiency and making sure that our goals address that. We also had some discussion about the need to focus – not necessarily in improving achievement in every area, but looking at the areas of Language Arts and Math. There seems to be a preference for becoming more quantitative; the goal that we worked on a few years back did not give much direction, and didn’t have a clear vision or directive to it. Another thing I got out of the work session was making sure that we keep our eye on preparing kids for what happens when they leave high school. There was some conversation about making sure that kids know what’s going to be expected of them if they want to have entry into college and that they have an opportunity to access those things. Also, not forgetting about the students who aren’t necessarily going to go to a four-year college and making sure that we are offering some things that will prepare them to be ready when they leave high school as well. That is what I got from the conversation we had on the 8 th of January. I did talk with a couple of board members after that and got a sense of whether I seem to be on the right track. I then came up with this draft, that I ran by a couple of people and got a little of feedback. I want to point two things out; one being that the numbers that you see in Goal 1 are not necessarily the numbers that we are going to use for our goal. I just wanted to show an example of what the goal would look like. I think there was a consensus that we need to be increasing the percent of kids that are meeting the standards, but I am certainly not prepared to say that the numbers I plugged into the goal are the right numbers. I would like to have some conversation about that as well. The other thing that I would like the board to bear in mind as we are looking at this particular area, looking at increasing achievement using the Oregon State Assessments and the Oregon Standards is that the cut (passing) scores are changing for a number of the grade levels assessed. What that means is that I think it would be wise to use this year as a baseline year for our goals.

The objectives in Goal 1 are broken out to address a couple of things. The first objective, to increase the number of students meeting or exceeding state benchmarks at each grade level assessed, would allow us to do some sort of cursory program evaluation; to look at the group as a whole and say, yes they are moving forward.

The next one, to have every student demonstrate improved achievement, would allow for more of an individual comparison; for each individual kid to be able to look at how they performed last year as compared to this year; to make sure that every student is moving forward.

You have heard a lot from both me and our administrative team about how we are focusing on reducing the achievement gap and making sure that we are doing all we can to have high expectations and provide support for those students who have English as a second language, special education students, or economically disadvantaged students, have the same levels of achievement as we expect for students from the majority.

Finally, the last one is the one that I think is the whiffiest at the moment. That is to increase the number of students demonstrating reading proficiency at their grade level. The reason I think this one is whiffy because it is harder to tie that to a consistent measure across the district because what is reading proficiency at the third grade is different than what reading proficiency is at the eighth grade and what is reading proficiency at the tenth grade, and they are measured in different ways. While Amy might be able to measure reading proficiency using one set of materials, Tom might need an assessment that assesses comprehension more directly. I wanted to acknowledge that I know that we don’t know what that means at this moment in time so it’s harder to set a number to that aside from saying that we want to make sure that we have more and more kids that are proficient at their grade level.

Goal 2: Again, the numbers that are plugged in there are not necessarily the numbers that we will be using. I know that for the dropout rate Kathryn referenced in a presentation that she did a couple of board meetings ago that we were at 3.6% and then we went down to 2.9%. Jacque – Good job. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – It is a good job, thank you for stopping me to acknowledge that. Kathryn – These percentages are so deceptive; it’s the sizes of our classes that’s the problem. If we have a kid who drops out, then comes back, and then drops out again, that counts as two for us.

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – The third page isn’t a part of the draft goals, but it is more a list of the things that have come up in conversations with board members and/or the admin team. These are some strategies that we are considering or perhaps even implementing right now that would have an impact on those goals.

Randy – Can you tell me a little more about the dropout rate? What is our ultimate objective? Is it to hold our dropout rate to within 2% of all high school students every year? Kathryn – The state average is in the neighborhood of 4%. It is very hard to quantify, especially with our size school. You simply have to know the individual student, why that student dropped out, and what that student is now doing. Randy – And the reason we would include this objective in here is because it does relate to increasing post secondary options for graduates? Obviously if students are dropping out their choice for post secondary options are greatly decreased. Kathryn – Yes. It is also one of the indicators that we are judged against. Jill – I also think that when you put something into an objective, you are willing to fund it because it means something. Randy – The other question I had was on Goal 2 – Increase the number of students admitted to a four or two year college or professional technical program – What is in place today to let us know who has been accepted? Kathryn – We follow up and talk to students in November and ask them if they really went where they told us they were going to go, and in February we ask them again. Randy – What’s the response rate? Kathryn – I have that data and could certainly get it to you, but I don’t have that information with me. We had roughly 75% of kids in the class of ’06 anticipate going to some sort of schooling after graduation and I think that 60% actually did.

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Does this feel like we are getting closer? Randy – It definitely feels like we are getting closer. Daniel – I would like to emphasize the importance of helping students prepare for the SAT, on site. This is a great idea, and I appreciate the board looking at that as part of their goal. Jacque – We can keep on wanting to do x% better each year, but when are we going to celebrate the effort? It would be nice to know what kind of percentage we are looking at as the ultimate goal. Jill – The federal government has a goal and that is 100% by 2013 or 2014. We also don’t know with the new administration in 2008, the NCLB might be history. We just don’t know. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – What is the board’s thoughts about having this year as the baseline? Maybe it would make more sense, rather than putting a number in there right now, to come back to the board in the spring when the assessment results are in and set goals from those numbers? I would prefer to wait to set a number and have that be based on some concrete reasoning and data instead of just pulling a number out of my hat. Randy – What I really like about this is that it goes from 2007 to 2011; this is a four year period, two bienniums. We have a chance to take a look at ourselves along the way and see, from year to year, how well we are doing. Jacque – Is there any way to put in the last objective of Goal 1 to annually increase the number of students demonstrating reading proficiency at their grade level, with the goal of being at 100% at the third grade? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Sure.

James Brink Eagle Scout Certificate of Recognition Presentation

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – This is Nancy Brink, Bob Brink, and James (Jamie) Brink, and they have a lot to be proud of. Jamie, a sophomore at JCHS, has accomplished something that typically no more than 3% of scouts earn, and that is his Eagle Scout status. I would like to present Jamie with this Certificate of Recognition and Jamie, we thank you very much because the other part of this presentation is to thank Jamie for all of his hard work on the Laurel Nature Center. That was his Eagle Scout project. We will pass around the before and after pictures that the Brinks brought to show the board just how hard this project was to take on. Congratulations, and thank you very much for coming.

Daniel Sorensen also received his Eagle Scout status a couple of years ago, and both of his brothers did as well.

Jill Case – We were just talking about goals, about post secondary, what kids are going to do once they graduate. Jamie, do you have a plan of what you are going to do when you graduate? Jamie – Go to a higher tech school. I would like to do mechanics of some sort; I haven’t quite figured that out yet. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – We are discussing whether or not there are other things we could be doing, as a district, that help students prepare for life after high school. Nancy – As a parent, and having taught for a number of years at Bethel, it is nice that Junction City offers the kind of hands on programs that Bethel did not offer; welding, agriculture, auto shop, classes like that. These are great for those kids who are not interested in focusing on academics, but using the skills that they have. James’ aptitude for motors and that type of thing is unbelievable. I appreciate Junction City’s efforts in those areas. Every kid is not meant for AP classes, and to be able to focus on their strengths is very important. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – That is very timely feedback. The other thing that we are talking about is increasing student achievement district wide, and given your background in elementary and student teacher supervisor for the UofO, is it reasonable to expect reading proficiency of all third graders? Nancy – One of my problems with the benchmarks, with a lot of the standards, is if you make an equivalency of a ‘B’ student that is saying that it is not ok to by an average student. On the other hand, without having a goal that is higher we sometimes settle for complacency and mediocrity and we don’t want that either. I think that if you have kids who are with you from Kindergarten through third grade, you have a wonderful opportunity to make readers of them. The problem with a lot of kids with Junction City is the turnaround, the ins and outs, the kids who will come to you, especially if they are from out of Oregon, they may not have had the same standards all the way. I don’t think you ever not set high goals, but the problems with putting all your eggs in one basket, I think sometimes you run the risk of losing what makes kids want to come to school. As we look back on our education, we don’t remember being so excited to go to school for a test or assessment, we remember the plays we put on, we remember the arts and crafts projects, we remember all of those things that made us excited to come to school. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – At our last work session, Principal Hedrick talked about the pending changes in the graduation requirements, something that has since come to pass, and part of the concern expressed by some educators and students is that if they jam more of the three R’s all the way through high school and what’s happening to those kids who are coming to high school because of welding or agriculture? Nancy – My last 50 cents worth is I think there should be a better relationship and fine tuning between what goes on in the elementary school and the transition to the middle school. I think you go through Laurel, where there are no report cards and no real accountability, and then you get to the middle school and if you have a paper that is 20 minutes late, the highest grade you can get on it is a ‘C’. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – It’s been a while since Jamie has been at Laurel and our administrators have been working together, with our staff, on how we can make those transitions more seamless, and we aren’t there yet. Nancy – I think there has to be more accountability in the elementary school. I think that if teachers give homework, it needs to be counted. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Thank you.

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – That makes me feel like we are on the right track. Getting back to what was suggested. If we are using this year as a baseline, should we wait until spring, after we have received the data? Jill – I think it sounds really neat to say the third grade, but now let’s say I have a fifth grader, I am a little offended that you don’t say that 100% of fifth graders are going to be able to read; that it would be ok to have 80% in the fifth grade, but not the third. I think we should say that every kid should be able to read at grade level. I don’t think that it is overly idealistic; I think you always try to push that every kid in every class is proficient. Michelle – It’s not that we are not shooting for 100% for all students, but if we make sure that all students are at 100% by the third grade then it is more likely that they will remain at 100% through the rest of school. If a kid is not at 100% by the third grade then they will more than likely not be at grade level in fourth and fifth, and so on. Jacque – So why not say that we are shooting for 100% at all grade levels, but with an emphasis on the third grade? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – The ideal with the objectives is to build in steps along the way. The ultimate goal is to have all students reading proficiently and performing mathematical operations at a level that is proficient with their grade level. I think that if we don’t build in a gradual approach to this we run the risk of people saying that we are never going to get there or being discouraged when in fact there may be a cause for celebration. Mike Tucker – Are we saying that we have been deficient so far and there is something we can do, as a school, to significantly impact the dropout rate? If we are going to reduce the dropout rate we are going to have to do something to do that. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I think that is more on the strategy part of the conversation because you are right, if you set a goal and you are not there and you figure out you are not where you want to be, you had better come up with a plan for how you are going to get there. The high school is more and more trying to identify the kids that are struggling and offering them an additional trimester of something if they didn’t get it the first time. We have had conversations about whether or not that would be a population to target for after hours educational opportunities. Wanda – They are also talking to incoming freshmen about what credits they will need their freshman year, their sophomore year, and so on, so the kids can get a plan together for those four years. Kathryn – That actually starts at the 7 th grade. The real problem that we have currently is those kids coming to us as seniors who are credit deficient and I must enroll them as seniors and I can identify them as they walk through the door that they are people who are going to be leaving us in three days, and now they are going to be my dropout statistics. Malcom – With regard to even targeting 100%, you have to be realistic. The kids in Steve Beard’s ESD Life Skills class in our building, expecting them to read at any benchmark is unreasonable. To claim or to say it’s your goal to have 100%, there are so many variables and unintended side effects or consequences that could come out of a broad goal that isn’t specific to each individual population, it’s going to take a lot of really serious legwork to figure out exactly which population we are going to talk about or if we are going to disaggregate those numbers, just from my little corner of the world, is ego-conscious. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Don’t lose site of the fact that we have kids in all those areas, and I know that the administrators are well aware of those students and their differences. Michelle – Out of everything that we have talked about the one thing that jumped out at me is annually to have every student demonstrate improved achievement. In wording it that way, you are talking about my kid. You can talk about the percentage, you can talk about what you are shooting for and what your goal is, but this speaks to my kid and that means something, as opposed to saying that we are going to have 100% of kids reading at grade level by the third grade. That includes my kid, but what if he is not one of them? This speaks specifically to my kid. Mike Brotherton – When you have a goal, you don’t necessarily have to reach that goal; we just need to be working toward it. If our goal is that 80% of students went to college and you are a parent of a student that is not doing that great we are going to upset the other 20% of the kids’ parents. Our goals need to be lofty. One year we may reach 85%, then 86%, then 87%, but our goal is still 100%. Kelli – I agree with Mike. I think our goals need to be lofty. If you have a kid that is not doing well, it looks as though we wrote him/her off years ago because they are part of that 20%. Mike Brotherton – The board’s goal is 100%; it is the administrators’ job and the staff’s job to figure out how to reach that goal. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – It seems as though I have a general consensus from the board that we should set the overriding goal very high, perhaps even 100%, and then understanding that there will be steps along the way to reach that overall goal of 100%. I would like you to take what you have received tonight and look it over and get back with me if something doesn’t look like it fits. Randy – You talked about getting some scores back in the spring and being able to plug them into these goals; would that be at the March meeting? Amy – It may not even be until May because we want to give the students as long as we possibly can in the school year before they are tested. We didn’t get our summary statements from the state until August last year. Jacque – As far as dropout rate, do we keep track of the kids who bolt to attend private school or home school? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – We do keep track of the kids who go to home school and private school, we know when that happens. I think our home schooling numbers are now lower than they have been in about a decade, and I think that is partially due to the outreach efforts.

Adjourn 6:30 p.m.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

OATH OF OFFICE – Daniel Sorensen – Daniel Sorensen recited the oath of office for Student Representative to the Board.

At Territorial, teachers have been busy learning, with the help of Lynn Larry from Lane ESD, about integrating digital media into the classroom. Mr. Adler would like me to be sure to express his gratitude for the help of administrative intern, Steve Jones, for acting as the serving administrator while Mr. Adler was out of the country. He also would like folks to be aware that Territorial’s Grandparents’ Day is approaching (February 14 th).

Laurel is having their next Family Media night on Friday, February 9 th. The last one had over 75 attendees. Starting tonight, Laurel is offering an 8-week “Make Parenting a Pleasure” class. The class is being offered in both Spanish and English. Last Friday, 10 Laurel teachers, along with 2 from Territorial, attended GLAD training at the ESD to further improve their expertise in working with students who have English as their second language. Principal Lesan would like to extend her appreciation to administrative intern Malcom McRae, who covered her duties at Laurel last week so that she could attend a training in Salem. Thanks Malcom!

Oaklea boys had their first basketball game today, hosting Creswell. Oaklea staff also are excited to implement their 2-week EXPLORE program which will provide a variety of elective type activities for students to enjoy, and I am sure Tom can speak a little more to that in his presentation. Oaklea’s Literacy Committee will be meeting with the entire staff tomorrow afternoon to outline the plan for our next early release day, scheduled for February 8 th.

At the high school, Mr. Bittle’s Honors Civics/Econ class represented our congressional district at the state level competition in Portland last Friday. I had the opportunity to serve as a judge for the regional competition earlier this month, and was very, very impressed with our students’ knowledge and ability to express themselves. The JCHS Chapter of the National Honor Society, under the guidance of teacher Ahmed El-Sayad, inducted 16 new members into their organization recently. To be invited to join, students need to do more than have a high GPA – they must obtain recommendations and complete an application. Basketball games occur this week, with the opponents being Sisters tomorrow night, and Marist on Friday. Swimming and wrestling are doing well – Swimmers have a relay meet at South Albany on Saturday and wrestling is hosting Elmira on Wednesday.

Finally, several board members, a community member, and much of the administrative team will be attending an OSBA sponsored “Bonds and Ballots” workshop at the end of this week. We will look forward to giving the full board a report at the next meeting, and hopefully will have the results of our population study by then as well.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR BROTHERTON, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE CONSENT AGENDA AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Mike Tucker – So he is working through the end of the year, did the district ask him if he was planning on taking the lump sum with PERS? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – We have those conversations with people before they apply for a work back because we all understand that if someone takes a lump sum they are not eligible to do any further work for a PERS employer for at least six months after retirement. Mr. Stockman shouldn’t be a concern.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE RETIREMENT OF ALAN STOCKMAN, TEACHER AT JUNCTION CITY HIGH SCHOOL, EFFECTIVE MARCH 1, 2007 AND WORK BACK THROUGH THE END OF THE 2006-07 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR GERDES, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR BROTHERTON, TO APPROVE THE ADDITION OF 4 HOURS PER WEEK TO GAYLE DAVIES’, SPEECH LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST, SCHEDULE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE 2006-07 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR BROTHERTON, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE RESIGNATION OF KOURTNEY SHREVE, SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER AT LAUREL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, EFFECTIVE JANUARY 12, 2007, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR GERDES, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE PARENTAL LEAVE OF ABSENCE FOR AMY LESAN, PRINCIPAL AT LAUREL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, BEGINNING DATE CONTINGENT UPON THE BIRTH OF HER FIRST CHILD ON OR ABOUT MAY 1, 2007, AND RETURNING THE BEGINNING OF THE 2007-08 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Matt Graves – I am passing out some executive summaries regarding what we did in the audit. I am the representative from your new audit firm, Pauly Rogers and Company, and I was the in-charge accountant for the audit this year. What I am going to do is run through the summary that I passed out and answer any questions the board may have about it. We got the report to you back in November, so if you have any questions about that, I can certainly go over those with you. The purpose of the audit is to determine the fair presentation or compliance with; generally accepted accounting principles and auditing standards, the Oregon Municipal Audit Law and the related administrative rules, and federal, state, and other agency rules and regulations related to financial assistance. The results of our audit were that we issued a clean, unqualified opinion, so there were no reservations of the financial statements. With respect to federal assistance and state minimum standards, we had no exceptions noted as well. We did not issue a management letter. The books and records were maintained very well. We would really like to commend Wanda, she did a great job, her staff did a great job, they had everything prepared for us and answered questions we had. No disagreements with management, no difficulties encountered in performing the audit, no significant audit adjustments or disagreements about accounting policies or accounting estimates. The district’s financial affairs have been professionally conducted. The accounting records were in good condition and we commend the staff for their assistance and support during the audit. Do you have any questions about what we do? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – From our standpoint as well, we appreciated the staff that you brought along, it felt like your questions were framed in such a way that we could readily address them. Thank you.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR GERDES, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR CROCE, TO APPROVE THE 2005-06 ANNUAL PROGRAM AUDIT, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Tom – Last year was a good year for the kids at Oaklea and the teachers. The first slide notes the changes that are being considered to RIT scores. Assessment Opportunities at Oaklea Middle School: Reading – 3; Math – 3; Science – 2; Writing – 1, in class writing task. If every Oaklea student was involved with every state designated TESA assessment opportunity, it would total 3,670 individual assessments. State Report Card – Math – Grades 5 & 8; 4-Year Comparison: 02/03 – 73% met benchmark; 03/04 – 68% met the benchmark; 04/05 – 77% met the benchmark; 05/06 – 87% met the benchmark. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I would like to point out that 03/04 was the year of our mega budget and staff reductions and that there may be a correlation between scores and higher class sizes. TomState Report Card – Reading – Grades 5 & 8; 4-Year Comparison: 02/03 – 68% met benchmark; 03/04 – 61% met benchmark; 04/05 – 72% met benchmark; 05/06 – 83% met benchmark. 05/06 Math – Grades 5-8 – The next slide shows the comparison of Oaklea with the rest of the state. I was pretty impressed with this because there have been years where our scores weren’t as great as other districts and when we look at Oaklea scores now, and the seriousness that teachers and students put with this, you see a pattern of higher scores at Oaklea than the state averages. 05/06 Minority Population – Hispanic – Math – You can see how Oaklea students in grades 5-8 compare to the rest of the state, and it is pretty impressive. 05/06 Special Education – Math – Part of the jump in special education students meeting the benchmark was the accommodations that we had previously talked about, and taking it seriously. All teachers are trained in accommodations and so any teacher involved in TESA, in any way, has to go through the training. This is not giving kids an unfair advantage; the state gives districts a list of accommodations that they can provide for every single student, and this is something that the special education staff truly believed in and you can see by the results that it worked. You can see that 77% of students met the benchmark, in math. Now that is with accommodations, not modifications, but accommodations. The state average was 40%. I am particularly proud of the teachers that took this task on. 05/06 Reading and Literature – Grades 5-8 – All grades were above the state average. 05/06 Hispanic Population – Reading and Literature – Grades 5-8 – Compared to the rest of the state, Oaklea scores were above the average. 05/06 Special Education Population – Reading and Literature – Grades 5-8 – The scores for Oaklea were significantly above the state averages. A lot of the accommodations for reading and literature is just listening to the student read and allowing a student to take as long as they need to finish the assessment. 04/06 and 05/06 Writing – Grade 7 – Although we are ahead of the state average, it isn’t something that we want to brag about too much because we have a lot of concerns about kids not being able to meet the state benchmark, which I think is one of the tougher benchmarks of all the ones that students take. In 04/05, 50% of students exceeded the state benchmark, 28% did not meet, and 22% were in the low area. In 05/06, 56% of students exceeded, 15% did not meet, and 30% were in the low area. 05/06 Science – Grades 5 & 8 – We have been pleased with science overall; the concern we have is when you have a high percentage in the 5 th grade and then in the 8 th grade you have a lower percentage, and you wonder what happened in between those years. In my opinion, the assessment becomes dramatically harder in the 8 th grade. Three-Year Summary – Grade 5 – Math – Met = 215 and Exceed = 231. In 2004 Oaklea’s average score was 221, 2005 the average score was 225, and 2006 the average score was 225. Three-Year Summary – Grade 5 – Reading and Literature – Met = 215 and Exceed = 231. In 2004 Oaklea’s average score was 220, 2005 the average score was 224, and 2006 the average score was 225. Three-Year Summary – Grade 8 – Math – Met = 231 and Exceed = 239. In 2004 Oaklea’s average score was 236, 2005 the average score was 234, and 2006 the average score was 237. Math Grade 8 – Three-Year Summary – “Does Not Meet” – 2004 – 34%, 2005 – 39%, 2006 – 17%. In 05/06, of the total 145 participants, 15 of them nearly met, 8 were low, and 2 were very low. Of the total of the 25 students who did not meet, 5 of them were special ed students and 2 were minorities. Reading and Literature Grade 8 – Three-Year Summary – Met = 231 and Exceed = 239. In 2004 Oaklea’s average score was 232, 2005 the average score was 232, and 2006 the average score was 234. In 2004 48% did not meet, in 2005 40% did not meet, and in 2006 30% did not meet. We like to see the percentages continue to decline, but we are still not happy with 30% of our students not meeting the benchmark. Of the total 146 participants, 35 of them nearly met, 8 were low, and 0 were very low. Out of the 43 students who did not meet, 6 of them were special ed students and 2 were minorities. School Improvement Plan – Targets for Adequate Yearly Progress – The state set goals for AYP and in 04/05 and 05/06, Oaklea surpassed those state goals, as well as the goals that we set for ourselves. What have we done to improve the areas of concern?7 th grade writing: although we are above the OSAT state average and improving, the almost 30% low area remains a concern. Adjustments include: continued review of strand areas by 7 th grade staff; addition of remedial writing sections in grades 5 & 6; continuation of resource writing sections in grades 7 & 8 using state and district standards; renew and revise ELL writing emphasis. Science: Although we are remaining above the state average in both grade levels, 90% exceed/met at grade 5 and 70% exceed/met at grade 8 is being reviewed – is it a significant difference or an overall 8 th grade state pattern that’s improving as did reading and math? We will continue to review the 6 th and 7 th grade curriculum for consistent alignment with grades 5 & 8. Reading: Literacy is in its 2 nd year as a cross-curriculum school-wide goal. Oaklea’s Literacy Committee continues to review and assess TESA results for 05/06 and current year scores/strands. Early release days and monthly staff meetings provide ongoing opportunities for literacy discussions and presentations of implementation strategies. Obtained highly qualified status for all 7 th and 8 th grade language arts teachers. Math: Adjust 7 th and 8 th grade sections as needed – added math 7 section to reduce class size and keep the one math 8 section as small as possible. Continue increase of 7 th grade pre-algebra and algebra sections. Continue with six math 6 sections (resource/pre-algebra) to allow for manageable class sizes. What have we learned from all of this? – Assessment accommodations allow all groups of students the opportunity to take their time, think about their answers, and feel less pressure to “just get done”. Recognize assessments as an additional reflection of the district and state curriculum and the overall process of student achievement and progress. When teachers have timely data on student achievement, ongoing building and district discussions can take place so as to effectively adjust the curriculum to meet the needs of student learning. Students, parents, and staff are excited about having done well on the OSAT which in turn creates an enhanced positive assessment culture. School Improvement Plan – Communication Goal – Edline and Oaklea Middle School’s website. Edline allows the review of a student’s classroom work-completion / grades at home. Whenever assignment updates are made, an email message is automatically sent to the parent’s / guardian’s activated account. At the conclusion of a teacher, student / parent and administrator conference this year, the parent commented on how much they ‘appreciated Edline…it’s a great way to keep up with our son’s work completion. We check it at home and it becomes a family conference time that benefits our son, us, and the teachers.’ ‘We check our daughter’s work at home with her….we all see what assignments are assigned and turned in. Any questions? Just email the teacher right from that same site.’ SWIS – School Wide Information System – Tardies as of December 1 st – An area of concern is the number of tardies. Oaklea’s Discipline committee considers the tardy issue as one of the initial main areas of concern for 06/07. SWIS data is reviewed at each monthly meeting. Analysis includes ‘when do most tardies take place’? Tardies take place most often in the morning/period 1/Homeroom and after lunch. Discussion includes: bus arrival schedule, breakfast program schedule, lunch/recess schedule, and beginning/ending of school time schedule.

Adjourn at 8:06 p.m.

Superintendent/Clerk             Chair, Board of Directors