Stephanie White

Jill Case

Kate Gillow-Wiles

Soren Andersen

Sue Huntley

Gary Giddens

Mike Thoele, Tri-County News

Zach Gerdes

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I had a couple of things I wanted to add to the Special Recognition before we move on to the District Update.  I wanted to make sure that the board was aware that our volleyball team ended up ranked in the top 8 in the state for our division.  It is definitely the best performance for our program in many, many years, and we are very proud of these student athletes.  I also wanted to say how impressed I was of the efforts of JCHS Social Studies Teacher, Ahmed El-Sayad, and the efforts of his students with respect to the wonderful Veterans’ Day Ceremony and the monument that they developed to honor the Junction City High School Veterans of World War II.  The student body was extremely respectful and appreciative of the assembly, and I think the entire audience was really moved by the speeches of the Veterans who were in attendance.  Again, special thanks to the Rear Family whose donation last spring made completion of this beautiful monument possible.  Also, thank you to a number of city employees, members of the Oaklea Parent Group, community volunteers, members of the Junction City Athletics, and our maintenance department for all their work in installing the new outdoor basketball hoops outdoors at Oaklea Middle School.

You will be hearing shortly from the principals of Territorial and Laurel, so I will let them apprise you of recent accomplishments and upcoming events at their schools.  At Oaklea, I wanted you to know that the teaching staff is continuing to work together on school-wide instructional strategies to increase student literacy and that the second trimester is right around the corner and the teaching staff will be shifting their focus to “during reading” strategies.  You heard last time about the “before reading” strategies that they are implementing as a school and I have no doubt that we will see some really great results in terms of kids’ achievements in literacy.  I also wanted to call your attention to the fact that results of the OMS parent survey that were given out at student-led conferences, were inadvertently left out of your packets, but copies have been placed at your spots and there are also some extra copies in the back.  The responses to the parent surveys were really interesting, and affirmed that parents are excited about the focus on academic excellence at the middle school, appreciative that students have extra curricular activities and athletics sponsored by the district, and are happy about our friendly, capable staff. There also were positive remarks about the addition of services for TAG students, the expansion of our music program, the great math classes, and the middle school’s excellent communication with parents.  In terms of the most pressing issues facing our district, a number of parents commented on the need to use our district’s funds to reduce class sizes, and to further increase the opportunities for students in art, music, foreign language, PE and technology.  32 of the respondents responded that funding and budget issues were the most pressing, with parents wanting “enough funds to give our schools the resources to help the students”, and “being able to fund a variety of programs that support student learning and co-curricular activities.”   We will be doing surveys of parents and community at all our schools later this year, and will keep you posted on the results.  At the high school, students are having “dead week” as they prepare to take their trimester finals on Thursday and Friday of this week.  Winter sports are in full swing, with the parents of athletes having a meeting in the gym tonight at 7:00.  Our first basketball games are occurring this Friday and Saturday, at home. Our swim team has a meet against Sweet Home on Friday afternoon, and our wrestling teams are traveling to Cottage Grove on Saturday for the “Lane County Invitational”.  Check out the high school’s website for starting times and locations for all athletic competitions. 

Finally, I want to remind the board, our staff, and our public that our next early release day will be held on December 15th.  This will be an all-staff arts celebration, and the board is cordially invited to attend.   It will begin at 2:15, in the large group area, with a music performance by several members of the Eugene Opera, arranged by Colleen Gaskill. From there, participants can choose from a variety of offerings, from dance lessons to making holiday bows.  It should be a great opportunity for our staff to come together to celebrate the arts.  Zach, is there is anything you would like to add regarding the high school?  Zach Gerdes – A quick update as to what’s been going on in Leadership at the High School.  As a leadership class and crew, we recently went to Seaside for a state conference in OASC (Oregon Association of Student Council) where we went to classes and seminars.  Some members of the high school’s publications went to Chicago for the National Newspaper Convention Conference and brought home two individual awards at the National level.  As leadership, we are getting ready for Winter Week, which will include a canned food drive (December 12 – 16).  A new club has started; the debate team is becoming a club, among the classic clubs like Spanish and National Honors Society.  The drama class is going to put on a free performance on December 3rd at 2:00 p.m.

Chair Croce – Five of us went to the OSBA conference.  It was very informative.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR BONNER, TO APPROVE THE CONSENT AGENDA, AS AMENDED.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR PRATT, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO APPROVE THE HIRING OF LINDSAY NELSON FOR TEMPORARY FULL-TIME COUNSELOR POSITION AT OAKLEA MIDDLE SCHOOL, THROUGH THE END OF THE 2005-06 SCHOOL YEAR OR AFTER 30-DAY NOTICE OF RETURN FROM CURRENT EMPLOYEE, AS PRESENTED.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Sherrene is a fairly long-term employee, teaching at the middle school.  She made a request of the board earlier to have a leave of absence from the beginning of the school year, until after the winter holidays.  She gave birth to her second child several months ago.  You saw enclosed in your packet a request from Sherrene to extend that leave through the second trimester, which would have her returning April 3.  Tom is not here, but I did have an opportunity to ask him what his feeling was about it, and while he would love to have Sherrene back as soon as possible, he is in support of her request to extend her leave.  They would just continue to have Liza Zehner teach in the classroom for the sake of consistency, until Sherrene returns in the spring.  Jacque – And she is fine with that?  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Yes.  Mike Tucker – I know that sometimes we are concerned about continuity of the teaching process, now we have someone who is going to be gone 2/3 of the year.  Would it not be appropriate to just take the rest of the year off and keep with one teacher who has been there for six months and come back at the beginning of the next school year?  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I actually did ask Tom that question and he would be eager to have her back before the end of the school year.  So the answer is that Tom’s recommendation is to grant the request until April.  Chair Croce – When it says “the majority”, does the new trimester start April 3rd?  Is she planning on missing a couple of days?  Kathryn Hedrick – The third trimester starts on March 13.  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – April 3rd is after Spring break.  Chair Croce – We have been having discussions about the step increase and if you take a full year off, you can come back but you start back one step above where you left off.  Mike Bonner – But, under the Family Leave Act, there is an exception for that, correct?  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – If you come back at the end of your family medical leave.  Mike Bonner – It says here that she is going to exhaust her sick leave, so she is not on family leave yet?  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Her 12 weeks of family leave are just now concluding.  So this would be an unpaid leave.  Chair Croce – If she were to come back 2/3 through the school year, does that still hold her spot on the salary schedule?  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I believe she would come back under this year’s salary schedule placement and then next year she would go up to the next step.  Now, I am saying that without having her personnel file in my head; she may be one of those people who already is at the top of the column anyway because of the number of year she has in the district.  The reason why this is in front of you and you are having the conversation about this is that you all made the decision, quite some time ago, that every single leave request would be considered individually.  We have had some instances where leaves have been requested and the board has countered with a modified approval.  This is the time for you to surface those questions and concerns and you can give me some direction about going back to Sherrene and telling her that the board is fine with it up until the beginning of the third trimester, or the board would prefer that it goes through the rest of the school year, or whatever direction you want to give me.  Chair Croce – My thinking is that when we have hired people, the job share for example, that has always been our concern; the consistency for the children.  This is not consistent with what we have always wanted.  Mike Brotherton – How long is the typical maternity leave?  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – There really isn’t a ‘typical’ maternity leave.  If we look at our employees as a whole, there are people who take just the 12 weeks and come back, there are people that propose to take the 12 weeks and then come back ½ time for the rest of the year, there are people who ask to take the entire year.  There really isn’t a standard way of doing it.  I think that with the secondary teachers it has been more of a trimester to trimester consideration.  Do you want to give us any insight, Kate, as to what the association’s position would be on this?  Kate – I think it’s a board issue.  It seems as though Tom’s opinion would carry a lot of weight.  She would be only missing two weeks of the third trimester.  Jacque – I know there are some teachers who wanted their kids in Sherrene’s class as well.  There has to be a reason why she is asking to come back in April instead of March.  I trust Tom’s opinion.  Mike Bonner – So do I.  Chair Croce – Why can’t she come back the beginning of the third trimester?  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – You can certainly craft a motion that would give me the direction to explore that with her.  Mike Brotherton – Given that our mission is to do what’s in the kids’ best interest, it seems to be widely held that Sherrene is an excellent teacher and that the kids benefit with the more time they spend with her.  Given that she is asking to be gone seven months and come back for the remaining two months and lieu of some medical reason why she would need to stay out longer, I think it is in the best interest of the kids to keep her out longer.  Or, I would hold her to her original request of returning on January 2.  Denise Pratt – I have had some experience in my family with post partum depression, I am not suggesting that, I’m just saying that it would be hard to put into a letter if that was part of the request.  That is a tough time for a woman.  I don’t think she would have requested the extra time if she hadn’t felt like it was necessary to have it.  She has been a long-time dedicated teacher, so I’m sure that isn’t a request she made lightly without some kind of reason behind her thinking.  I understand about what’s best for kids, but she’s a new mom and she has, I’m sure, issues as well that we probably need to consider as well.  I will make a motion that we grant Sherrene Kulm her parenting leave, but we ask her to come back the beginning of the third trimester, March 13.  Chair Croce – Obviously the board has a few more questions than just granting the leave, so can we possibly pull this out a little bit, get back to Tom, get a few more answers?  It sounds like we are leaning toward giving it to her, but we would like her to come back the third trimester.  Mike Brotherton – I would suggest that we reject it and allow her to come back with another proposal if there are extenuating circumstances.  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – What I would caution is that there isn’t another board meeting until the end of January so if there is a willingness to extend the leave until the next board meeting, or a short time thereafter, and then she can come back with more information and you can act on extending it further.  Jacque – Do we have to know all this?  Is this three weeks enough to haggle around?  Mike Tucker – I am more supportive of the person that is currently teaching, to continue to teach and have Sherrene come back next year.  It just seems like that would be better for the kids.  I’m not saying that she isn’t a good teacher, or that she wouldn’t be a benefit, I am just saying that the kids have been 2/3 of the school year with one teacher and we should continue with that.  Randy – I agree with Mike.  It seems that if we are looking for continuity for the kids, it seems like having an entire year with the same teacher would be better, instead of going two weeks into the third trimester and switching teachers.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR PRATT, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR BONNER, TO APPROVE THE EXTENDED LEAVE OF ABSENCE FOR SHERRENE KULM, TEACHER AT OAKLEA MIDDLE SCHOOL, TO RETURN MARCH 13, 2006 INSTEAD OF APRIL 3, 2006 AS REQUESTED IN HER LETTER.  The motion was APPROVED 5-2 with Directors Tucker and Brotherton voting no.

D.    Approve retirement of Joe Forward, teacher at Oaklea Middle School, effective December 31, 2005 and work back effective January 1, 2006 through the end of the 2005-2006 school year.

Mike Tucker – The question would be, does that mean he terminates the PERS contribution for the district?  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – That’s a very good question.  As you know, our collective bargaining agreement has a provision that allows teachers to retire mid-year and complete the remainder of the school year.  We have learned, in some recent instances, that depending upon the option that someone exercises when they retire from PERS it has implications on whether or not the district can hire them back.  If Mr. Forward elected to take the lump sum in his PERS retirement, the district could not hire him back because someone is prohibited from reemployment for a period of six months following the lump sum.  Wanda – We could hire him back, but it would not be in his best interest for him to accept the position because he would have to pay the lump sum back.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR TRUMMER, TO APPROVE THE RETIREMENT OF JOE FORWARD, TEACHER AT OAKLEA MIDDLE SCHOOL, EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 31, 2005 AND WORK BACK EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2006 THROUGH THE END OF THE 2005-06 SCHOOL YEAR, WITH THE STIPULATION THAT HE CANNOT TAKE THE LUMP SUM FROM PERS.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

E.     Approve hiring of Erin Holtey for temporary full-time Counselor position at Junction City High School, beginning December 5, 2005 through the end of the 2005-06 school year.

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – The board approved some additional FTE for the high school as part of the budget that was approved for this current school year.  Kathryn used some of the FTE to make some current teaching positions full-time positions and to expand some course offerings, and saved .67 of an FTE from that allocation.  By doing that it would allow the high school to have a full-time temporary counselor for the second and third trimesters of this school year.  The position was posted a couple of weeks ago, Kathryn got several applications, interviewed, and found who she believes to be the best candidate for the position.  Kathryn – Erin is a new school counselor.  She is finishing up at Oregon State.  She is from Ashland and has a background with the Oregon Shakespearian Festival.  She is a very personable young lady who will fit well with our staff.  Jacque – Will this bring our counseling up to the standard for certification?  Kathryn – That is what I told the accreditation people in October.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR BONNER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR PRATT, TO APPROVE THE HIRING OF ERIN HOLTEY FOR TEMPORARY FULL-TIME COUNSELOR POSITION AT JUNCTION CITY HIGH SCHOOL, BEGINNING DECEMBER 5, 2005 THROUGH THE END OF THE 2005-06 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

It was called to the attention of the board and to me in a letter from the JCEA’s bargaining chair, Janet Dunham, that a little of the information presented by the district in its mediation summary of November 9th might be confusing or possibly in error.  There is a corrected mediation summary on the back table, and you can see therein that some of the text in the section on salary has been changed.  The attached chart comparing salaries for all Lane County districts was in fact correct, but the text said that the farthest column was for the “MA plus 45” salaries in each district, when in fact what is represented in the chart is the highest salary in the “Masters only” column.  Different districts’ salary schedules might include columns for “Masters plus 45” or “Masters plus 90”, or a Ph.D., but the chart was intended to compare apples to apples, and that is why the “Masters only” column for each district was referenced.  Obviously, Junction City teachers with a Masters pus 45 and the maximum number of years teaching would have a higher salary than the one shown in the chart for a Masters only.

In the first year, the district’s proposal would create a salary schedule about $400 per year greater than the average of all Lane County school districts for teachers at the BA, Step 1 column an the top of the Masters only column.  The district’s proposal also would mean that teachers with the greatest number of years’ experience and a BA, as well as beginning teachers with a MA, would be earning more than $1,000 annually than the Lane County average salaries for those columns.  I know the board intends and desires that all communications with our staff be accurate and clear, so this clarification will also be provided to our teachers.

INSURANCE:  The Board is proposing a District maximum contribution of $775 per month per full-time teacher, effective upon ratification.  The 2004-05 “cap” of $725 per month continues until that time.  The Board also proposed an increase to $815 in the second year and $845 in the third year of the contract, with bargaining for the fourth year to occur in spring, 2008.  The District’s insurance contribution would slightly exceed the average District contribution for other Lane County districts for 2005-06 and 2006-07.  Under the District’s proposal, and after ratification, all licensed staff would pay less “out-of-pocket” for the employee share of insurance premiums than employees’ “out-of-pocket” costs for 2004-05. 

OTHER COMPENSATION:  The District proposed to pay an annual stipend of $500 to special education teachers and speech therapists, in recognition of additional hours spent at IEP meetings and in completing the record-keeping required of them.  The District also proposed a one-time $1,500 payment to any teacher who passes the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards for acknowledgment of that tremendous achievement. 

SICK LEAVE:  The District proposed to increase the number of days that can be taken as paid leave annually due to family illness from 3 to 5 days but rejected the JCEA proposal to increase to 60 days.  The District also proposed language that would allow it to request a doctor’s note when warranted by a pattern of sick leave usage and to recoup sick leave that is advanced at the beginning of the year if the teacher ultimately does not earn it and instead resigns, retires, or goes on unpaid leave midway through the year.

COMPLAINT PROCEDURE:  The District accepted the JCEA proposal to allow a teacher to have legal representation and/or Association representation during the processing of a complaint.  The district also proposed that all complaints must be presented in writing, signed by either the complainant or the supervising administrator. 

TEACHER DISCIPLINE:  The District proposed language to define discipline as either a written reprimand or suspension without pay.  The District also proposed to clarify the current language, which applies a just cause standard to dismissals or non-extension of a contract teacher, to apply to dismissals for misconduct, while the Fair Dismissal Appeals Board review would apply to contract teacher dismissals for performance reasons.

SCHOOL WORK YEAR:  The District proposed to add to current contract language a guarantee that the record-keeping day at the end of each trimester would continue, as it exists in the current calendar.   One of the issues remaining to be resolved is the number of student instructional days.  The District also moved during bargaining to resolve the issue of scheduling approximately 10 more hours of student instruction time each year (by increasing student days from 171 to 175 but also scheduling ten one-hour late arrivals or early departures for students). 

The Board's position is that that time should be increased from 171 to 175 days, in keeping with the Lane County averages for calendars for 2005-06 throughout the county.  In discussions prior to adopting the calendar, the board talked about the district’s goals related to student achievement, and the research that shows that students’ achievement is definitely correlated with time spent in instruction.  The board also discussed that one of the most chronic concerns we hear expressed by our patrons is the seemingly large number of days our students have out of school, and also discussed the fact that at some grade levels we were not in strict compliance with the state’s required number of instructional hours.  This information was discussed at a number of board meetings, and also was provided to our licensed staff. 

As those of you who were involved in the calendar planning process last April and May know,  the 2004-05 JCSD calendar had 191 contract days, 171 student contact days, 16 professional activity days, and no early release or late start days (except at the high school).  In the process of planning for the calendar last spring, the board considered information that the county averages are 191 contract days, 175 student contact days, 10 professional activity days and 4 early release or late start days.  The 2005-06 calendar that the board adopted in May detailed 191 contract days, 175 student contract days, 12 professional activity days and a total of 10 1-hour early release or late start dates.  The board also has reiterated to our staff, parents and the public on many occasions and in a variety of forms, that the 05-06 calendar the board adopted in May might be subject to change, depending upon what occurs in negotiations with the union. 

In adopting the calendar last spring, the Board adopted a calendar that would allow for the increase in instructional days if we are successful in negotiating that increase.  If the Board were to settle the contract without that increase, the calendar would be revised to drop in the number of instructional days at some time in the spring.  This remains an important issue to the Board, and we believe the parents of our students and the public.  (We are disappointed that the Association is not willing to agree with this increase.  The Board has made an economic proposal that will keep our teachers at or above the County average in salary and insurance, so it appears reasonable that they also work an average number of instructional days.")

Junction City School District ensures academic excellence for all students in a safe, drug-free, comprehensive school community.  Evidence of our success will be:

Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP)

Reading        2004-05 Fall      2005-06 Fall

3rd Grade      39% m/ex          41% m/ex

4th Grade      N/A                      79% m/ex

5th Grade      79% m/ex          64% m/ex

Math            2004-05 Fall      2005-06 Fall

3rd Grade      39% m/ex          43% m/ex

4th Grade      N/A                      68% m/ex

5th Grade      79% m/ex          43% m/ex

Alan – How are we addressing the needs of students who are falling behind?  Teachers are using effective instructional strategies such as; breaking the lesson down into smaller pieces, re-teaching lessons, individual conferences, using IA’s to assist struggling students or to free up teachers to assist struggling students, ‘flooding’ – increasing the number of IA’s in a classroom to maximize small group instructional time, differentiating instruction based on the fact that some kids are ‘readier’ to learn and need to be challenged while other kids need to slow down the pace of learning to their appropriate level, computer programs, open-ended assignments to highlight ‘thinking’ skills, using curriculum materials that allow students to move at their own pace (SRA), teach toward learning styles and multiple intelligences, effective use of support programs such as TRIP, and special education to accommodate student needs in the regular classroom.  Last year, the Territorial site council identified the need to improve in the area of writing.  Teachers reviewed the standards and looked for ways to create a seamless K-5 instructional model.  We asked ESD consultant, Robert Young, to assist us in developing a ‘writing vision’.  Territorial’s writing vision statement is: Territorial students know and are able to write effectively, Territorial students enjoy and are able to express themselves through writing, Territorial students undertake writing assignments with confidence, Territorial students are able to write in a variety of modes proficiently.  Teachers will assess students at least twice a year formally, and emphasize writing throughout the curriculum.  Plans include: writing to students at a school affected by Hurricane Katrina; publishing student work and reading it in an all-school event called “Writing in the Rain”; creating a comprehensive framework and standards for student writing at Territorial K-5.

What’s Happening at Territorial?

The first edition of the Territorial Tattler hit news stands in November.  Retired teacher, Patty Turley, is extending her expertise once a week to the eager editors in Ms. Coolman’s fourth grade class.  This is the first year of the TRIP program – Territorial Reading Improvement Program.  In October, Territorial was awarded the Merit Green School certification – only one other school in Lane County has reached this level.  We kicked off our Reading Counts program this month.  All students participate in reading at home and tallying their efforts for awesome prizes!  (This program is run in conjunction with the Territorial Parents Association.)  Laura Lemhouse is teaching Scandinavian dances to all grades once a week for six weeks with an all-school performance in December.  The TPA has sponsored and paid for this activity.  Rebecca Carmichael is leading a group of youngsters in putting together the first Territorial yearbook.  The TPA is underwriting this project though yearbooks will be sold for $8.00.  Ms. Coolman received a recycling grant to study the feasibility of using “biodegradable” silverware.  “Dr. John” explores the world of science with grades 1-5 once a week.  John Harris is a Ph.D. student at the UofO and teaches at Junction City in cooperation with an ESD grant.  Youngsters are studying Balance and Motion, while the older students are exploring the States of Matter.  We welcomed two students from Japan who spoke very little English in September.  With the help of our ELL program, staff, and students, these kids are thriving and speaking functional English and making progress in class.  We also welcomed a student from Hurricane Rita.  Rebecca Carmichael is teaching enrichment classes: youngsters – Learning about Myself and older students – Hurricanes and how they impact people and the environment.  Territorial teachers are teaming up with a school in Gonzales, Louisiana to exchange postcards, books, letters, and gifts.  Galen Carpenter set up this “sister” school model to assist the school with the addition of 260 displaced kids from Hurricane Katrina.  The Holiday Bazaar is in December.  A canned food drive for the Goldson Grange will be held in December.  Preschool: Thanksgiving feast and play; pizza fundraiser.  Kindergarten: Pattern studies.  1st Grade: Learning to read and doing book reports of favorite books.  2nd Grade: Thanksgiving plays.  3rd Grade: Creating a snowman and writing a story of when the snowman comes to life.  4th Grade: Publishing the first copy of the Territorial Tattler.  5th Grade: School store every Thursday; using Alpha Smarts in the writing process.  Media Center: Interactive web searches, reading sites, historical websites, Thanksgiving myths and facts, Alpha Smart class for touch typing for older students.

Reading 3rd Grade

04/05 Goals                          04/05 Actual                                 05/06 Goals

90% m/ex                                92% m/ex                                      93% m/ex

0 students at lowest                            2 students in lowest                      0 students in lowest

quadrant                                   quadrant                                         quadrant

50% AYP subgroups             91% ELL, 68% Hispanic            70% meet/exceed in each

meet or exceed                       68% SPED, 88% Econ                 subgroup

Disadvantaged

Math 3rd Grade

04/05 Goals                          04/05 Actual                                 05/06 Goals

85% m/ex                                87.7% m/ex                                   90% m/ex

0 students at lowest                            1 student in lowest                       0 students in lowest

quadrant                                   quadrant                                         quadrant

50% AYP subgroups             75% ELL; 73% Hispanic            70% meet/exceed in each

meet or exceed                       68% SPED; 82% Econ                 each subgroup

Disadvantaged

Writing 4th Grade

Didn’t have any                     24% m/ex (32% state)                 60% m/ex

baseline data….we’re            73% Hispanic; 18% SPED          60% m/ex in each

not sure what to expect        14% Econ. Disadvantaged          subgroup

Action Plan Review – Curriculum mapping; piloting new instructional materials; many hours of professional development; continue PBS focus.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR PRATT, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO MOVE DISCUSSION ITEM H – VACANT BUDGET COMMITTEE POSITIONS – TO AN ACTION ITEM.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO APPOINT MICHELLE LOWERY AND TRISH LITTON TO THE TWO VACANT BUDGET COMMITTEE POSITIONS.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

It was the consensus of the board to have these reports every few months from Wanda.

Wanda – Another thing I wanted to talk to you about is food services because we made some changes.  The biggest change we made most recently was breakfast in the classroom.  We did that for the whole month of October at Laurel.  That alone generated $6,000 more in income for that month than what we made last year.  Granted there was about $1,500 more in expenses for supplies, but there are no more costs for staff.  So it’s a net increase of $4,500.

The meeting adjourned at 9:27 p.m.

Superintendent / Clerk                                                            Chair, Board of Directors