Kate Gillow-Wiles

Malcom McRae

Carol Puderbaugh

Sue Huntley

Mike Thoele, Tri-County News

Zach Gerdes

Mike Campbell

Others – 2

IIA.              VACANT BOARD MEMBER POSITION #7 – Chair Croce – We were taking applications and we only received one, which was from Randy Trummer.  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Mr. Trummer’s application was included in your packet and I just wanted to take a moment and say that while we didn’t get a tremendous number of applications, I think the applicant that we got was tremendous.  Mr. Trummer said that he would make himself available if you would like to interview him.  Mike Tucker – I think Randy has been a budget committee member for several terms and he has considered running for the board and I think he would make a good addition to our board.  I would like to make a motion that we accept him to fill the vacant board member position of Jim Bradshaw.  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I think we have to move it to an action item first.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR BROTHERTON, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES TO MOVE DISCUSSION ITEM, VACANT BOARD MEMBER POSITION #7, TO AN ACTION ITEM.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Denise Pratt – Those of us who have been on the board for a period of time have worked with Randy on the budget committee and I think that we have the best possible applicant.  If we went out and beat the bushes, we couldn’t have found a better applicant.  He brings a wealth of experience from the ESD, he understands the budgeting process, he is engaged and interested in the district, and I’m really glad that he decided to apply.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR PRATT TO APPOINT RANDY TRUMMER TO THE BOARD POSITION #7 AS PRESENTED.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Randy Trummer joined the board at the front of the boardroom and recited the Oath of Office.

Mike Tucker – I have a question on the minutes.  I believe I was here, as well as Denise.  (Others who were at the September board meeting were Kate Gillow-Wiles, Randine Doggett, Bruce Reinmuth, and Mary Jo Huisman.  Cindi Schweigert was not at the meeting.)  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – What happens when we audiotape the meetings is that Stephanie doesn’t have the benefit of actually laying her eyes on people.  Stephanie – The minutes will reflect these changes.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR PRATT, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, TO APPROVE THE CONSENT AGENDA, AS AMENDED.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR GERDES, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR PRATT, TO APPROVE THE PARENTAL LEAVE OF ABSENCE FOR CAT JENKINS, .50 FTE TEACHER AT LAUREL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, BEGINNING NOVEMBER 28 (APPROXIMATELY) THROUGH THE END OF THE 2005-2006 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

DIRECTOR PRATT NOMINATED MIKE BONNER FOR VICE-CHAIR FOR 2005-2006, DIRECTOR TRUMMER SECONDED THE NOMINATION.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR BROTHERTON, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR PRATT, TO CLOSE NOMINATIONS AND CAST A UNANIMOUS VOTE FOR MIKE BONNER FOR VICE-CHAIR.  The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.  Mike Bonner will serve as Vice-Chair for the remainder of the 2005-2006 school year.

English / Language Arts: Participation – NOT MET

One of the things that we are assessed on is the rate of participation and taking tests.  The target is 95% of the population taking the tests.  What you see on the graph is the first bar in each cluster is 2004, the next bar is 2005, and the last bar is a combination of the two.  NCLB ratings are based on the two pervious years.  For instance, for economically disadvantaged the combined total for the past two years is 91%; students with disabilities is 88%; white students is 90%; and all students is 89%.  That is a “NOT MET”.  The good news there is that last year we were far above where we were the previous year and our overall, for all students, was 95% for this last year.  From 2004 to 2005, subgroups improved participation rate 24%, 5%, and 12% respectively.  From 2004 to 2005, overall participation increased by 11%.  State rating: Exceptional.

Mathematics: Participation – MET

Participation rate is 95%.  What I like about this graph is the dark blue bars (2005 data) are 100%, 100%, 99%, 99%.  The participation rate improved from the previous year 20%, 5%, and 16% respectively.  From 2004 to 2005, overall participation rose 16%.  State rating: Exceptional.  Jacque Gerdes – Why is it that everyone made it to the math test, but not the English / language arts test?  Bill – That’s a really good question.  The English / language arts test is a combination of two tests, it’s the knowledge and skills test and writing tests so if one student misses both tests, that is two tests missed.  Mike Bonner – So if a student misses a day and that is the day they take the test, they cannot make it up?  Bill – Not at all, we have multiple test days and they will have multiple chances to make it up.  It’s tracking the student down, getting the student motivated to take the test, etc.  Kathryn – One of the things that factors into it for us is the trimester system; students are not necessarily in an English class when we ask them to take the writing test.

English / Language Arts: Academic Status – MET

The state has set the target at 50%.  This is the combined data for the reading test as well as the writing assessment.  From 2004 to 2005, every subgroup improved by at least 14%.  Students with Disabilities show an “NA” because there is not a significant number of tests to be considered a subgroup for this particular measure.  Superintendent Rodden-Nord – But there is also something called “Safe Harbor” and even if our kids with disabilities don’t meet the threshold for achievement that’s established by the state, if they demonstrate a significant level of improvement from one year to the next, that’s recognized as a good thing.  State Rating: Satisfactory.

Mathematics: Academic Status – MET

The state has set the target at 49%.  From 2004 to 2005, every subgroup improved by at least 7%.  Met in all subgroups (economically disadvantaged and students with disabilities did not have enough tests to be considered in the data).  State Rating: Satisfactory.

That’s the overall picture; that’s what our kids did as a whole.  The next part, we take apart the data even further and look at the individual tests.  Instead of English/Language Arts, we look at the reading test performance and the writing test performance, and the math, and also the science. In Reading: From 2004 to 2005, the percentage of students Exceeding increased 7%, and the percentage of students in the Did Not Meet I and II categories decreased.  In Writing: From 2004 to 2005, the percentage of students increased in the Meeting (22%) and Exceeding (3%) categories, and the percentage of students in all three Did Not Meet categories decreased (9%, 15%, and 1%, respectively).  In Mathematics: From 2004 to 2005, the percentage of students increased in both the Meeting (4%) and Exceeding (3%) categories, the percentage of students in the Did Not Meet I and II categories decreased by 4% and 5% respectively, and the percentage of students in the Did Not Meet III category increased by 2%.

Denise Pratt – Can you pull out of these reports the kids that don’t meet and is there a process in place for remediation for those kids?  Bill – We don’t have a formal process for that.  That’s probably something we will be working towards.

Bill – We have these five categories and if we don’t meet in one of the five areas, we don’t meet overall.  Either you are a failure of you are not.  It’s real easy to ‘not meet’.

Attendance and Behavior Data

Bill – Quarterly attendance; we don’t have this year’s first quarter in yet, but you can see that attendance has increased drastically in 2004-05 from the two previous years.  I think this is due to the attendance policy.  The referrals per month have also decreased in most of the months.  Jacque – Is that because the kids are absolutely great right now?  Because how you get referrals haven’t changed, right?  Bill – Yeah, we didn’t tell the teachers to quit writing referrals.  Mike Bonner – Are they handling more of them themselves?  Bill – Teachers don’t handle referrals, but they could be handling more of them before they turn into referrals.  Mike Tucker – Could you break these down by gender?  Bill – We could do that.  Mike Tucker – I would like to see that.

The meeting adjourned at 7:40 p.m.

Superintendent / Clerk                                                           Chair, Board of Directors