Stephanie White

Craig Rothenberger

Darbi Haffner

Kate Gillow-Wiles

Carol Puderbaugh

Jill Case

Mike Thoele, Tri-County News

Matt Knox – Junction City Athletics

At Laurel last week, the kindergarteners got to take a train trip to Salem, where they enjoyed a carousel ride, among other things, and then took a bus ride home. Laurel’s first and second graders took a field trip to the Portland Zoo. Third graders saw “ Charlotte’s Web” at the Hult Center and will be going to Splash in Springfield tomorrow. Fourth graders have recently taken field trips to either Roth Nursery or Newport, and on June 1 st will have an all-fourth grade extravaganza at Splash. Laurel’s recent family fun night was a huge success, with at least 500 participants. Not everyone sang karaoke or got a wacky hairdo, but everyone enjoyed the unveiling of the gorgeous new tile mosaic mural. A parenting class about positive behavior support strategies was offered several weeks ago, and on May 24 th, families can come to Laurel to learn about stress buster strategies. Seven Laurel staff members attended a two-day workshop on how to help English Language Learners, and all staff received a two hour inservice about how to identify and respond to students with asthma. Lynn Larry from Lane ESD will visit Laurel soon to show staff how to use the media carts (which have a DVD, computer, and projector). These carts will be available for check out next year. Laurel students will be having their “move up day” on June 2 nd, when they will get to visit the classroom and teacher that they will be assigned to for next school year.

Oaklea reports that the middle school track meet that happened last week was an outstanding event. Kudos to Gary Meininger and Shireen Malpass for organizing the event, which only included 5 th graders. It was especially heartwarming to see the JCHS boys’ 4X100 relay team on hand to demonstrate to the younger athletes what a relay with baton handoffs really looks like. Oaklea also recently sponsored its’ first ever Brain Bowl, which went very well, and then our students went on to compete at the Brain Bowl held at the U of O last week. Students have been enjoying a new incentive program which Ms. Schweigert calls “hats off to you”. Students with good behavior are entered into a drawing, and every day two students’ names are drawn and they are awarded hats to wear at school. Parent nights were held for the parents of students who will be new to Oaklea next year, and students who will be new to Oaklea have been visiting as well. In addition to their efforts to improve student literacy, the staff at Oaklea will be looking for ways to offer “selectives” which would be like mini-elective courses for middle schoolers.

Our high school students have been incredibly busy, productive, and having a great time! The May 15 th music concert was fabulous. Special recognition to Mr. Lasley for that, as well as to Mr. Lasley and Mr. Soren Anderson for arranging a senior citizen dance at the Moose Lodge. The dance was sold out and everyone had an awesome time! Speaking of dances, the high school’s prom was held at the Beacon House and Hans Reerslev and Amanda Croce were crowned King and Queen. Our FFA Environment Science Team placed first in State! Members of this team were Mary Lemhouse, Brianna Price, Nathan Gent, and Kasey Ford. Alternates (who also get to go to Nationals) were Nick Reerslev, Matt Campbell, and Samantha Barnes. We had a number of students attend the district track meet, which was held in Cottage Grove this past weekend. Junior Brian Harper took first place in both the 200 and the 400. We had our 4X100 boys’ relay team (which includes Kienan Brotherton, Brian Harper, Matt Reid, and Kevin Laxton), take second place and have qualified to go onto State. Our girls’ 4X100 relay team took second place (Jessie Wentch, Katie Rear, Brenna Patterson, and Karla Crymes). We have a lot of kids going on to compete in State at Hayward Field this Friday and Saturday. Jeff Hunt jumped 21 feet in the long jump. Wow! This afternoon, our softball team is playing Yamhill Carlton in round one of the OSAA playoffs, and our baseball team has a playoff game against LaGrande; it was the top of the 5 th and we were down 3:1, but hopefully they will pull it out. If our teams advance by winning this afternoon, the girls’ next game is in Scappoose and the boys would play in Astoria. We wish them well! We also hope that the members of our high school’s literacy team have a productive visit when they go to Medford on Thursday to observe and learn about the efforts to improve student literacy that have been made in Medford’s middle and high schools. Commencement is going to be on Saturday, June 10 th at 3:00 p.m. at William Peden Field. We’d like the board to respond to Kathryn to let her know if you will be there. There will be a special spot for the board members to sit because you are elected officials. Kathryn – The board is actually the ones who present the diplomas. I present the class to the board, and legally, the board gives the diplomas.

We had a visit last week from State Representative Debbie Farr. Rep. Farr came to see our breakfast in the classroom program, and took a tour of each of our buildings. She enjoyed lunch with the high school staff, and was very favorably impressed with all of the wonderful things happening around our district, including being awestruck by the geography abilities of Bruce Reinmuth’s eighth graders. Also last week, the Education Together Foundation held their awards dessert and awarded many, many scholarships, ranging from $500 to $2,000 to graduating seniors, alumni, and other community members who are pursuing post-secondary education. ET also awards grants to our schools’ site councils for a variety of worthwhile student activities. We are tremendously grateful to the many businesses and local individuals that donate to the scholarship fund, and would like to thank, by name, the ET board members: Maxine Hayes, chair, Nancy Gifford, Shelly Hansey, Janet Gibson, Harley Hagan, Jim Ramseyer, Donetta Wood, Pam Fiske, Ray Swart, Bill Glass, Jeff Curran, Anne Lee, Lynda Taylor, Dick Darst, and Bess Knox, and ex-officio member, Jill Case. Thank you all very much for your time. It astounds me every time I see the number of scholarships that are awarded, and the amount of the scholarships that are awarded, year after year to the kids in this community.

Mike Brotherton – Can we please pull # 3 out? Jacque – I would like to pull #6, 7, and 8 out for more information.

Consent Agenda

4.   Approve the hiring of Toni Cowdrey as 1.0 FTE Family and Consumer Studies teacher at Junction City High School, beginning the 2006-07 school year.

5.   Approve retirement of Cal Fagan, teacher and coach at Junction City High School, effective the end of the 2005-06 school year.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR TRUMMER, TO APPROVE THE CONSENT AGENDA AS AMENDED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

3.   Approve voluntary reduction in FTE for Sherrene Kulm from 1.0 FTE to .50 FTE for the 2006-07 school year and voluntary transfer to .50 FTE 6 th grade class-size reduction teacher position for the 2006-07 school year.

Mike Brotherton – Tom, can you explain why you are in favor of this? Tom – I am in favor of it for a couple of reasons. One is we had a .50 position available for next year, and what this does is put a trained teacher in that position. This will open up another 1.0 FE position; we would have to interview and fill a position either way. I don’t have a problem with Sherrene going to .50 for the next school year. Mike Brotherton – Isn’t this the second time that she has asked to reduce her hours? Tom – She was on medical leave this year, but I don’t recall her ever asking for a reduction in her hours. Jacque Gerdes – She just wanted to extend her leave of absence. Mike Brotherton – I am puzzled by this because in her letter she says that she will let us know next year, in February, if she intends to come back. Then in the next line, she wants in writing that she has three years to make up her mind. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – The .50 position that Sherrene has requested a voluntary transfer to is temporary for next year and she would need to let us know, if the position were available the following year, in the spring whether she would like to continue in that part-time position or whether she would like to return to the 1.0 FTE position that she has presently. Contractually, when we have a full-time teacher who makes a voluntary reduction in their FTE, they are able to retain their full-time job rights for up to two years. At that point they make a decision whether to stay part-time and only have part-time job rights or return to a full-time position. Randy Trummer – What happens to the person who takes the 1.0 FTE position? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – It will be posted as a temporary position and the person would come aboard knowing that the position will end at the end of the school year. Mike Brotherton – I can see where this is in the best interest of the teacher, but this also forces us into bringing in a teacher for only a year, and I don’t see how this is in the best interest of the kids. Tom – Temporary positions are not necessarily unusual. We have probably have more applications for our 5 th and 6 th grade positions than I think I have ever seen, and we are only going to interview 12 people. I am not disheartened by this in the least. If anything, I am disheartened that I have to narrow it down to 12 interviews. Mike Bonner – How much time does it take to do an interview? Tom – The body of the interview is an hour, but we have to review and evaluate every file. Mike Bonner – So if you have to put a number on how long it takes to do one interview, what would you say that number would be? Tom – Five hours, maybe because you are calling their references and previous employers, you are looking through their files. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – The one thing I would point out is that Oaklea would already have several 5 th and 6 th grade positions vacant for next year by virtue of the number of retirements having, so these are positions for which Tom would already be considering the applicant pool and already having to go through the interview process.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO APPROVE THE VOLUNTARY REDUCTION IN FTE FOR SHERRENE KULM FROM 1.0 FTE TO .50 FTE FOR THE 2006-07 SCHOOL YEAR AND VOLUNTARY TRANSFER TO THE .50 FTE 6 TH GRADE CLASS-SIZE REDUCTION TEACHER POSITION FOR THE 2006-07 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED 4-2, with Directors Brotherton and Bonner voting no.

6.   Approve resignation of Larry Watts, Social Studies teacher at Oaklea Middle School, effective June 19, 2006.

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Larry was offered, and accepted, his first administrative position in Oakland School District. Tom – That is correct. It is a 5-8 middle school, has approximately 200 students, and it’s a nice size to begin his administrative career in.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TRUMMER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR BONNER, TO APPROVE THE RESIGNATION OF LARRY WATTS, SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER AT OAKLEA MIDDLE SCHOOL, EFFECTIVE JUNE 19, 2006, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

7.   Approve hiring of Kristi Stahl as temporary .33 FTE Language Arts/Drama teacher at Junction City High School, temporary for the 2006-07 school year only.

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Kristi has been a full-time teacher at the high school this year. .67 FTE of her position was considered regular because it resulted from Patty Turley’s retirement last year, with the other .33 going to Todd Limbo. The Board had approved 1.0 additional FTE at the high school and .33 of that FTE went to Kristi for Language Arts and Drama, and this would be an extension of that. She would still be a full-time teacher, but .33 will be considered temporary. Mike Brotherton – Why are we retaining her as a temporary, given all of the things that you have added back into the budget? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – When we went through the budgeting process, we felt that because some of what we were doing was spending that ending fund balance down, that some of those positions needed to be continued as temporary until such time as we knew that it was general fund dollars that we could expect in the next biennium. Mike Brotherton – Given that we, at one point, had a drama program and given that we have now started a program back, it would seem that by keeping it temporary it’s going to put a drag on that program. It’s telling people that the district isn’t sure about committing to drama. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I hear what you are saying. Are you just wondering about whether this should be approved as temporary, or as a regular position? Mike Brotherton – I would like to see it permanent. Wanda – Given the fact that we will have the lottery money, I could easily live with it being a regular position. We were keeping some of the positions as temporary, as we did before, because we aren’t really feeling comfortable with the state revenue; although we feel a lot more comfortable than we did a couple of years ago. If the Board feels that they would like to make it a regular position, it isn’t anything that I would discourage. Mike Brotherton – A lot of these things that are temporary are for programs where there are multiple people. This position is the program. We need to let the public and kids know that we are making a commitment to the program by making this a regular position. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – The same could be said for the TAG program, where we started this new program that is person specific; she has done it at a very high level for a couple of years. Mike Brotherton – I would agree, if we are going to have a program, we need to make a commitment and have a regular person in that program, not a temporary. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I understand what you are saying, and I think it’s nice for a staff member to have that level of certainty, but if the bottom fell out again, every principal is going to be faced with very difficult decisions as to what programs to keep and what programs to cut, and it is much easier to cut the temporary positions. Jacque – How tough would it be? Do we need more information than this, or can we make the decision tonight? Wanda – The difference is; with certain positions being temporary, if we have less revenue going into the 07-08 year, then we have already predetermined which positions will be reduced. If we do not have temporary positions, then we go into a RIF situations and we have to make very difficult decisions as to which positions will be RIFFED. Jill Case – My question would be, if you look at each of these singly, deciding to singly move one to permanent, wouldn’t you want to look at all of the other temporary positions we have, as well? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I think that is certainly something we could ask Wanda to come back with for the next meeting, when the Board is adopting the budget. At that point the Board could say whether or not they would like to see the positions as regular, or keep them as temporary. Randy – I would like to have Wanda bring back a list of temporary positions so the Board can evaluate them. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – It sounds like there are some questions about which positions are temporary and why. There are some positions that I would strongly discourage the Board from making regular positions; for example the .50 class size reduction position at Oaklea, that is coming from a set pool of funds that will not be available after the 06-07 school year. I wouldn’t advise that we would make a position like that regular. We can bring a list of temporary employees back to the Board at the June meeting for the Board’s review.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR BROTHERTON, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR BONNER, TO APPROVE THE HIRING OF KRISTI STAHL AS .33 FTE LANGUAGE ARTS/DRAMA TEACHER AT JUNCTION CITY HIGH SCHOOL, BEGINNING THE 2006-07 SCHOOL YEAR, AS AMENDED.

MIKE BONNER WITHDREW HIS SECOND.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR BROTHERTON, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO APPROVE THE HIRING OF KRISTI STAHL AS TEMPORARY .33 FTE LANGUAGE ARTS/DRAMA TEACHER AT JUNCTION CITY HIGH SCHOOL, TEMPORARY FOR THE 2006-07 SCHOOL YEAR ONLY, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

8.   Approve hiring of Ceri Gipson as 1.0 FTE 8 th grade Language Arts teacher at Oaklea Middle School, beginning the 2006-07 school year.

Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Ceri is currently serving in a temporary position that was added to reduce class sizes after the school year began and we will be having, as a result of Joe Forward’s retirement at the end of this year, a 1.0 8 th grade language arts position, regular. Tom – I met Ceri at Pacific when she was getting ready to graduate, working with her class. The interview team came up with Ceri as the best applicant for this position. Ceri knows the students well, really knows her curriculum, and is very active in the language arts curriculum.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR BROTHERTON, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR TRUMMER, TO APPROVE THE HIRING OF CERI GIPSON AS 1.0 FTE 8 TH GRADE LANGUAGE ARTS TEACHER AT OAKLEA MIDDLE SCHOOL, BEGINNING THE 2006-07 SCHOOL YEAR, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Approve the recommendation to award the auditing contract to Pauly, Rogers and Co., P.C.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR BONNER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATION TO AWARD THE AUDITING CONTRACT TO PAULY, ROGERS AND CO., P.C., AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Approve Classified Contract for 2006-07 – Mike Tucker – There was a high level of disagreement about some language, but this was a very collaborative and teamwork orientated group of people; these informal meetings went very well.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO APPROVE THE CLASSIFIED CONTRACT FOR 2006-2007, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Approve Superintendent Evaluation Form for 2005-06

Mike Thoele – In the interest of the public record, I would ask why there is not a signature line on this form? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – That is a good question. Please make sure that you sign your evaluation forms.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TRUMMER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR GERDES, TO APPROVE THE SUPERINTENDENT EVALUATION FORM FOR 2005-06, WITH A SIGNATURE AND DATE ON THE FORM, AS AMENDED. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

Craig will get Superintendent Rodden-Nord a possible fee for renting the tennis courts and fields. This policy will be brought to the Board at the June meeting as a second reading and approval.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR TRUMMER, TO MOVE DISCUSSION ITEM B, FIRST READING OF POLICY EFA – LOCAL WELLNESS POLICY, TO AN ACTION ITEM. The motion was APPROVED unanimously by those board members present.

A MOTION WAS MADE BY DIRECTOR TUCKER, SECONDED BY DIRECTOR TRUMMER, TO APPROVE POLICY EFA – LOCAL WELLNESS POLICY, AS PRESENTED. The motion was APPROVED 5-1 with Chair Croce voting no.

It was the consensus of the Board to allow the high school to do this study.

The meeting adjourned at 8:40 p.m.

Superintendent / Clerk                Chair, Board of Directors