February 27, 2006 – Boardroom


Board of Directors


Mike Bonner, Vice-Chair

Denise Pratt

Mike Tucker

Jacque Gerdes

Randy Trummer

Mike Brotherton

Kathleen Rodden-Nord, Superintendent

Kathryn Hedrick, High School Principal

Bill Bechen, High School Assistant Principal

Tom Endersby, Oaklea Principal







Stephanie White

Jill Case

Chris Meyer


Kate Gillow-Wiles

Cheryl Glasser

Mike Thoele, Tri-County News

Zach Gerdes

Gonzalez Family







Sam shared his PowerPoint presentation called, “Foot Binding” with the board. Sam’s presentation was based on the book, Ties that bind as well as research he did on the internet regarding foot binding.




At Territorial, our fourth graders have been very busy doing their best work on state writing assessments. A number of student practiced writing thank you letters to the Board and our food service director. A group letter from Cheryl Walton is hanging on the wall behind the board and I have a stack of them that you can look at when you have the time. As you know, Territorial is a Merit Green School and is committed to the concepts of reducing, reusing, and recycling. These students wrote to express their gratitude about the recent switch from plastic sporks back to regular silverware. A few weeks ago, Territorial had their annual Grandparents Day, and as usual it was very well attended. Mr. Adler reported that about 130 guest meals were served. Territorial is looking forward to celebrating Dr. Seuss’ birthday on Thursday, March 2. I would like to make sure that the board should feel free to drop by and participate in the festivities. I would like to express gratitude to the Territorial Parent’s Association for their willingness to fund 6 weeks of PE with retired district PE teacher, Sally Crum, this spring. We are grateful to the TPA and all our parent groups for the many ways that they provide enrichment activities for our students throughout the district.


Last week, Laurel kids and staff welcomed the addition of Dan Baumann as a PE teacher funded at the .3 level by the Long Tom Grange through the end of this school year. You’ll be hearing more about Dan in just a little bit. Laurel’s school-wide art project is underway and this year it will be a tile mosaic project that will welcome visitors to the home of the Laurel Leopards. As always we are grateful for the time, energy, and heart that is shared with Laurel kids by key members of the Laurel Parent Group. These folks spend a tremendous amount of time planning, working with the kids to create these huge projects, and it’s amazing over the years some of the things that have lasting effects on the culture of the school. Last week, Laurel students enjoyed presentations by school consultant Rena, who over the years has taught our students so much about disability awareness and has probably taught us more about the similarities among us. Laurel students are also looking forward to Dr. Seuss’ birthday on Thursday and they will be enjoying a delectable lunch of green eggs and ham. The day will start with reading by guest readers at 8:30 in every classroom and then a free book will be distributed to each student in the school thanks to the generosity of the Junction City Soroptimists. Media specialist, Rebecca Smith, has asked me to let you know that she still has a few coveted spots for guest readers, so if you are interested in doing that and your time allows, please let me know.


I have been asked to remind you of the upcoming fundraiser for the Junction City Connections program. There will be a spaghetti dinner and silent auction at the Viking Sal on this Tuesday, tomorrow, at 6:00. Tickets are $10 each.


Oaklea Middle School’s parent group fundraiser is underway. The parent group is working with the kids to reach the goal of selling $15,000 worth of magazines and CDs. Ms. Schweigert can’t be a party to anything without it being a competition that ultimately results in someone being embarrassed, so she has constructed this so that in the end whichever team sells the most, the team teacher of the team matched with the winning team will have to kiss a pig. Oaklea’s teaching staff has been busy building their capacity through participations in last week’s literacy summit in Portland and also the teaching history committee through Lane ESD. We are very pleased and proud of the time, commitment, and professional energy that so many teachers at Oaklea have given to improving not only their school in general but student achievement in particular. I want to be sure to extend an invitation to all of you to attend one or both of the upcoming Oaklea band concerts. On March 1 st, the 6 th grade band will be performing and on the 2 nd, it will be the 7 th and 8 th graders. Anyone who has had the recent pleasure of attending a concert that Jim McReynolds has put together with the middle school kids knows that this is something not to be missed. The performances are at 7:00 p.m. in the large gym.


As many of you are aware, our boys’ basketball team ended their regular league season in a tie for first place with Pleasant Hill and Marist. While we lost the first seed berth to Pleasant Hill, the boys prevailed in their game against Marist Saturday night to secure the second place seed. Our girls finished their regular season in a playoff qualifying position of second place and they will be playing in round 1 of the playoffs at home tomorrow night at 7:00 in a game against Seaside. On Wednesday night at 7:00, our boys’ basketball team will be hosting Mazama for a first round playoff game. We fully expect to spend March 8-10 at OSU at the state playoffs with both our boys’ and girls’ varsity teams. Our wrestling and swimming seasons are now over and we had a number of students perform very well at the state competition for those sports. Our equestrian team will be having a match this Friday through Sunday at the Oregon Horse Center. The high schools staff is turning their attention toward planning not only for the spring trimester but also for next school year. The high school is in the process of reviewing and revising the curriculum handbook and forecasting class sizes and sections needed in various departments. The high school administration is cultivating relationships with this year’s 8 th grade class, not only by giving them preferred special seating to home basketball games but also by going over and having lunch with them at the middle school to get to know them. We had a number of high school students from the leadership program that is directed by Mr. Malcom McRae attend the state school summit in Salem a few weeks ago. I heard that our school had the largest contingent of students in attendance and that our kids came back very energetic and very eager to make the high school an even more welcoming and engaging place for all our students.


Cheryl Glasser – Almost 100 kids auditioned this year for Missoula Children’s Theater, and 60 kids were chosen. There was a full-house at all of the programs this year, which is the 10 th year Missoula has been coming to town.



Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Before you take any action on the consent agenda, I feel I was remiss in making some assumptions, particularly in the case of our new board members, about action items 2 and 3. Every year, boards across the state of Oregon take action, as a result of Senate Bill 880 from 1997 or 1998. This bill, which then evolved into an actual statute that we reference in our notices to staff, fundamentally changed the nature of the employment relationship between teachers and school board such that tenure as we typically knew it was no longer and in fact this legislation required that school boards, even for long-time licensed employees, act every two years to renew teaching contracts for people that have passed the probationary period. We have teachers who have a three year probationary period, so you saw on your list there were people that were recommended to move from year one to year two, year two to year three, and then from successfully completing their third year probation to contract status. I think there was probably a bit of alarm when people got the list and noticed that certain names weren’t on the list. These generally are two-year contract teachers who are mid-contract. The other piece of this is that is in a large group, you are asked to take the action to not renew people that were on a temporary contract with the district. That is driven by the statute where we have people that we have had an employment contract with for a very specific time either because they have been replacing someone on leave, or it was a position that was funded by a grant or a one-time donation. I just want to be really clear that the fact that we are non-renewing our temporary employees doesn’t mean we didn’t appreciate them, or they didn’t do a great job, it’s just we are making it very clear that their time with us is done. Often time those temporary folks are people who are then in great position to apply for regular positions and we have the benefit of having gotten to know them and they know us.



Consent Agenda



Director Brotherton asked that #5 be pulled from the consent agenda for discussion.





Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Sarah is a first year probationary speech language pathologist with the district. She is primarily assigned at Laurel. I think it is fair to say that she has been doing a fabulous job, we’ve been very grateful to have her skills. She approached Amy and Alan Adler, who is her direct supervisor, with a request to reduce her FTE for next year and move from a full-time status to at the least a .63. There were some compelling factors with respect to a family member’s health that she wants to have more time available as well as the fact that she has a daughter entering school and she wants to be more readily available to see that is a smooth and positive transition. Sarah is aware that when someone moves from full-time to part-time status, their benefits are prorated and she also expressed her acknowledgement that the position is one that has been difficult to fill in the past. Sarah shared with me that she would be willing to have a provision in the reduction in FTE agreement that would allow for an adding back of time to the degree that we couldn’t find someone to do that. Amy Lesan – I am in full support of Sarah’s request. She is willing to be involved in helping to find and interview someone to fill in for those hours she wasn’t working. Mike Brotherton – This is a person who is a first year probationary, we are 6 months into the school year and I’m glad we were able to find such a great person. We have been looking to fill this position for a long time. It seems as though we are now not putting the kids’ needs aside and doing what’s best for the employee. You can get a replacement to come in on that.3 FTE, but what are you going to get? It’s obviously hard to find people for this position. Amy Lesan – It would actually be easier to find someone for a smaller amount of time than a full-time person because there are speech therapists who contract their services out to districts. We actually have money in the budget for contracting some of the speech services out. Mike Bonner – Would we still have that even after hiring a person? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Funds that weren’t expended for a full-time position would be available to hire a part-time person. Mike Brotherton – It’s great that she’s a wonderful person, and I like her myself, but we are looking for a full-time person and if she doesn’t want to work full-time, then she isn’t the greatest match for this position. Mike Tucker – The worst scenario would be that she would then just take the Family Leave Act and be gone for a full 12 weeks. It seems like she wants to work and it isn’t her choice to leave. I think that we should try and make arrangements and accommodate her. It seems like we should look into it with the caveat that if we cannot find a person to fill those hours she will either have to work them or we will have to find another person. Jacque – I trust Amy’s judgment and opinion.




Mike Tucker – Are we going to put a stipulation in the motion that states that if we cannot find a replacement by July 1, that she will either have to work the hours, or we will have to find another person?




B.   Approve Hiring of Daniel Baumann for .30 FTE PE Teacher at Laurel Elementary School, beginning February 13, 2006 through the end of the 2005-06 school year. – Superintendent Rodden-Nord – As you are aware, the Long Tom Grange responded to a proposal that was submitted to them by a staff member at Laurel requesting funding for a PE teacher. They responded by allocating a specific sum of money which allows us to hopefully hire Dan to serve as Laurel’s PE teacher for .3 FTE. Amy Lesan – We have knows about this position all school year, we were only just now able to find a person to fill it. Dan will be working three days a week and will be able to see every classroom once a week. Dan – I want to thank Amy and the Board for allowing me this opportunity to put my degree to work.




C.   Approve 2004-05 Annual Program Audit – Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Each year the school board is asked to review and then approve the audit that has been conducted of our district for the prior school year. We have had the services of Anita LaVassaur for the past several years, we have been really grateful to work with someone of her caliber. I think you saw in a recent mailing from me that Anita has notified the district that she is electing not to serve districts of our size from here on out because there are some new, very cumbersome, requirements that kick into play when districts our size receive federal dollars in excess of a certain amount, and it makes for a much more cumbersome, time consuming, audit. I’d like to thank Anita for her services thus far, and we wish her well. We asked Anita to be here tonight to see if she could answer any questions you might have regarding the audit before you approve it. Mike Brotherton – Anita, could you review any findings you came across? Anita LaVassaur – There are a number of things that we look for when we audit a district each year. Junction City’s financial statements are presented fairly well. We did find that one teacher was shorted a year of experience, and that was fixed. The only finding that was reported was the segregation of duties for the business office. Because the business office has such a small staff, the duties are not able to be segregated. There are three people in the business office and five steps that should be done by five different people. A letter is written to go with the audit that states that because of the small office size, duties are not able to be segregated as appropriate. Right now, Paula writes the PO, writes the check, enters it into the system, and Wanda signs the checks and reconciles the accounts. There is a possibility, and I only use Wanda as an example, that Wanda could write a check, sign it, cash it, and then go on vacation to Tahiti. Mike Brotherton – Do you have any suggestions for us to utilize current staff to segregate some of those duties? Anita – That all depends on the experience of the other staff members. Maybe the superintendent can sign the checks, or reconcile the accounts. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I am a signer on the account, but I don’t routinely sit down and sign every payroll check. Anita – The question is whether or not she would be able to tell if there is a problem with one of the checks. Mike Brotherton – Wanda could write a check, sign it, and she reconciles the account; if it were such that she no longer wrote checks but she continued to reconcile the account, would that negate the finding? Anita – No. There are five steps; writing the PO, writing the check, entering it into the system, signing the check, and reconciling the account. In order to get rid of this finding, you would have to have five different people doing one of these steps. This isn’t just a problem at the district level. This is a problem with the student body funds at the schools as well. Jacque – Is reconciling the accounts something that a finance class could do? Anita – What some districts have done is have their finance class reconcile the accounts for class credit. But, then you would have to deal with the turnover of kids changing every trimester and teaching a new group of kids what to do. Mike Brotherton – What about bringing in an auditing firm to reconcile the accounts, or take over some of these steps? Anita – That could be very costly. Jacque – It would be a lot more money than hiring a part-time employee to come in and help. Mike Brotherton – Given our constraints, the worst case scenario is that Wanda could write a check, sign it, and then cash it and go on vacation? Anita – That could happen, yes. Jacque – So, if we took Wanda off as a signer of checks, and have someone else signing checks, that would be doing us fine for right now, right? Anita – You still have the issue of Paula doing three of the five steps. Wanda – I am open to changing the process. I don’t necessarily need to sign the checks, someone else could do that. I would like to, however, look over the checks and make sure the accounts are correct and are coded properly. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I do periodically sign checks if they need to go out and Wanda is not available, and there have been times where I have gone to Paula and questioned her about a check and there is a perfectly reasonable explanation. Having me sign checks is not a terribly efficient use of my time; I don’t imagine that you guys feel that that is what you hired me for, in terms of signing every check. The other issue is that I wouldn’t have that nose to sniff out the account number and whether or not the check is coded right. How much more of an investment would you, as a board, like to put into our district office to deal with the slim chance that something like this may happen? Mike Brotherton – I remember at one point the citizen’s advisory board stated that 50% of the women in women’s prisons were there for embezzling. I think we put an awful lot of responsibility on Wanda. This is a comment that we have in our findings year after year after year and I would think that some point as things get more automated that I would like to see the staff go back and look at some way to maybe try to smooth this process out. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Having heard what Anita has said and understanding what your concerns are, Wanda and I will put together a proposal that shows what it would cost to get another person to help in the process and then we will bring it back to the board for consideration. Mike Brotherton – I would like you to look at trying to correct the finding, or move toward the direction of more separation. I would like it so that we don’t get this comment again. Mike Bonner – I agree. Jacque – What do other school districts our size do? Do they just live with the comment? Anita – Yes. Randy – I think we should just go on with the idea of having Wanda and Kathleen gather a proposal and present it to the board in March that shows a set of proposed processes that will satisfy the five points and eliminate the finding, or just reducing the risk. Mike Brotherton – How many are in the office? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Ramona who does payroll and insurance, Paula who does accounts receivable and payable, Wanda who is the business manager, Stephanie who does pretty much anything and everything else, Jill does curriculum and grants, Howard who does technology. Jacque – And, everybody is maxed with what they are doing? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I would be hard pressed to find time in anybody’s schedule to pick up one of these items, but we will look and will let you know what it would take in terms of additional staff.




D.   Approve 2006-07 ESD Service Plan – Superintendent Rodden-Nord – You have seen a draft of the ESD Service Plan for 2006-07. You use to be asked, as a board, to approve a set of resolutions and this was one of those processes that was changed in the last round with the legislature and ESD’s have been asked to work in closer collaboration to ensure that the services that they are offering are those that districts need. We spent a fair amount of time at our Lane County Superintendents meetings talking about what services we want and what they are going to cost and how they stack up relative to other things that could be offered. This is essentially a contract with Lane ESD that says that these are the things we would like the ESD to provide for us and these are the funds that we will approve expending for that purpose. At this point, I would say that the vast majority of districts in Lane County, ours included, a lot of what we get from Lane ESD are special education related services. They do an exceptional job offering programs to address kids with low incidence disabilities. ED students in particular, we get behavioral consultants that come out to our district and assist in helping us strategize in how to deal with difficult kids. We can find placements for kids through Lane ESD for students that aren’t successful here. We purchase school psych services through Lane ESD. We have, in the past, contracted with them for nursing services when we didn’t have our own nurse. We get a tremendous amount of support, much more than the dollar amount would indicate, in terms of technology support. They assist us with all of the infrastructure that makes our email system and internet accessible and functional. They provide us school improvement services. An example of that is Robert Young who comes out and works with us to plan staff development for those limited number of days that we have staff development training for our staff. They provide curriculum support. They work with us on media services; we get our films for our students through Lane ESD, oftentimes. They have started expanding options for digital curriculum where teachers can use the ESD as a resource for getting things digitally that support something that they are teaching. In the years that I have been superintendent, I have seen how much of an effort they have made to be responsive to the districts that they are serving.




E.   First Reading and Approval of Revised Policy IGBC – Title I – Parental Involvement – Superintendent Rodden-Nord – We are asking, Jill and I, that you consider this first reading of the policy and also act to approve it tonight. We have a parent involvement policy in place; we submitted it to the Department of Education as part of our Continuous Improvement Plan; they gave us some feedback that they’d like to see some revisions made. You see that represented in the redraft. I want to make sure that you know that we value parent involvement and policy development as well and while our policy may not have been completely up to snuff in this regard that there have been many opportunities for parents to get involved through, for example, the volunteer policy as well as ongoing opportunities for parents to be involved in policy issues at the site council level. The concepts that have been incorporated into this revised policy are based at least in part on the suggestions, concerns, and comments from parents.






Chris – The following projects are being done with money that was saved by the maintenance department doing a lot of repairs on the heating and air instead of calling subcontractors. *District – Bleachers – We are having the stairs and walkways (3) at the high school’s football stadium replaced. A lot of the wood is bad and a safety hazard. Currently, they are shut down. Cost – Approximately $4,000. Mike Bonner – So the $4,000 will get that up and safe for next season? Chris – Yes. Denise Pratt – The seats themselves are safe? Chris – Yes, the seats are safe, it’s just the walkways that need to be replaced. Denise – A couple of years ago a lady came in with some ADA concerns. Have these concerns been taken care of? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – We have put into place temporary measures that are acceptable in terms of meeting ADA compliance. Chris – * LaurelThe roof over the maintenance storage area is very bad. We are constantly repairing this area and having to use multiple buckets to deal with the leaks. I have bids and hope to have this replaced during spring break. Cost – Approximately $6,000. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I was there last week and there were probably 12 buckets that were in the process of filling up. Chris – *High School – The carpet in the east wing hallway is really bad. It is seven years old and due to be replaced. We have bids and it is going to be replaced during spring break. Cost – Approximately $15,200. Mike Bonner – Is there something that is better than carpet that will last longer that may be more expensive now, but in the long run will save us some money? Chris – Kids are always sitting in the halls so we need to have carpet. This carpet that we are putting in is a cross between carpet and tile. It’s probably one of the best that’s out there right now from an EPA standpoint. The carpet can be replaced in sections if needed.


The following are projects that are budgeted for completion in 2006-2007. *District lawn mower – Our current lawn mower was purchased in 1995. Mowers should be replaced about every seven or eight years. This mower is used at all schools and a lot of athletic fields. A new lawn mower is approximately $17,500 and we can get approximately $5,000 trade-in on our old mower. The cost of the new mower is only about $500 more than when we purchased it in 1995. Mike Brotherton – Does the one we have still work? Chris – Yes, it is still working. Mike Brotherton – Why would you trade it in when it still works? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I think we are planning to budget for the replacement and if we didn’t do that and it broke next year, it wouldn’t be in the budget to replace. Chris – We are getting up there in years of use, almost 11 to be exact, and the recommendation is to replace them every seven to eight years. Mike Bonner – If that transmission goes out on that thing, you are looking at $5,000 - $6,000 just to replace the transmission. Chris – If it broke down and we had a football game or soccer game, we couldn’t get the fields mowed. Jacque – Then we wouldn’t be able to get our $5,000 trade-in either. Mike Bonner – Have you looked into rentals or leasing? Chris – No I haven’t. With the amount of mowing we do and the amount of fields we have to maintain, it would be more cost effective to purchase one. Mike Bonner – I am talking about long-term rentals, where they would come out and fix their own equipment if something were to break. Chris – I have only looked at what we have done in the past, I didn’t look into rentals. *We would also like to purchase a six-foot sweeper that can attach to the tractor to help maintain parking lots and to help with leaf cleanup, which has been an ongoing safety concern. This will be used at all schools and the approximate cost $4,400. Mike Bonner – Oaklea is like an ice rink with those leaves; it’s very dangerous. Mike Bonner – You could rent these seasonally, I don’t know what the cost difference would be for that, instead of purchasing one. Chris – The one that we are looking at would attach to our mower. Mike Brotherton – How much more would this cost for the labor involved in doing this? Chris – It would actually save us man hours because the Head Custodians have to sweep the parking lots themselves. *High school track – the groundwork was first done in 1989 for $69,442. That was track prep, asphalt work, and soccer field. In 1990, the original track was installed for $35,000. This was purchased by the Tiger Club. In 1995, the track was resurfaced for $24,340. Minor repairs were made to the track in 2004. All this work has been done by Atlas Track and Tennis. Because the track’s maintenance was deferred for so long, it is not possible to resurface it. The recommendation now is to remove the entire track surface and replace it with new. It would then be the department’s plan to resurface it twice at five to seven year intervals before it might need to be replaced again. Cost – Approximately $74,200. Randy – What are current materials for the track resurfacing; how have they improved and are they as expensive to resurface? Chris – I know that what they are planning to put down is better than what originally went down. As far as the cost, there are different options available. $74,000 is at the low end of the cost. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – Is it fair to say that the fact that the maintenance was deferred on this for so long, has taken us to the place where now we have to replace it instead of resurface it? Chris – That is correct. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – What prompted us to look at this is that we are scheduled to have the district track meet here this spring, it comes around about every seven years, and there was quite a bit of conversation apparently at the league level that they aren’t even sure they should let Junction City host the track meet because the track is in such bad shape. I think there is some concern on the part of the coaches about the condition of the track and how that may contribute to injuries on the part of our student athletes. It is certainly something we are concerned about. In anticipation of the board considering this for budgeting next year, I talked with Craig Rothenberger and he felt that if this is something that could be planned to be done this summer he would approach the league about moving the district meet to another facility this year and then we would host it next year. Zach Gerdes – From a student perspective, that track is really bad. Mike Brotherton – This discussion started out that we have a bunch of newfound money that someone has given us? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – We don’t have a whole bunch of newfound money that someone has given us. Wanda will be talking with you about an update in the state funding that we expect to receive. The state will be giving us more in our final payment for last year, much more than what we were expecting. Mike Brotherton – Is there going to be enough to offset the $500,000 that we took from our savings? We are spending more this year than what we are bringing in. Is the ending fund balance going to continue to go down? Wanda – We will actually have more by the end of this year than we had planned. This is new information that we just received from the state. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – One of the reasons I have asked Chris to bring these things to your attention is not only because they are needs that we have that we have been putting off, but we also are in a situation where we might have revenue that we weren’t expecting that would be one-time money that we wouldn’t necessarily want to recommend adding programs or adding staff because it would be here once and then it would be gone, so we might want to look at targeted projects for the board to consider for those funds. Denise – We are going to continue to add to the fund that we started so that we don’t end up in the future with this beautiful track that is not safe because the way we got here is we didn’t put money aside on a regular basis for maintenance. Mike Brotherton – My point being is last year Doug came to the board with a list of things that had to be done right away and it had a total of $13,000,000. If we don’t have the money to fix the track, then we don’t fix the track. Mike Tucker – Isn’t Chris here to talk about projects that he would like to complete? I didn’t think he was here to discuss the funding and how we are going to find it. Mike Bonner – I agree, I think Chris has put a lot of time and effort into this and we should let him finish his presentation. Chris – * Laurel roof – There is one section of the roof over the middle of the school that has not been resurfaced. I am getting bids to have this done. We have had a few problems this winter and I would like to head off any major problems. Cost – Approximately $12,000. *Oaklea gym floor – The gym floor is in bad shape. It is causing safety issues as well as looking bad. We are in the process of getting bids to replace the floor with the same material, or something different, including wood. The floor was resurfaced in 1995 for $19,672, which did not hold up. I have included a letter from Oaklea gym teachers expressing their concerns regarding the current floor. *The high school carpet sweeper is 20+ years old, and needs about $1,000 in repairs. We would like to replace this at a cost of $3,800 - $4,000. A new sweeper will better maintain the new carpet. The recent EPA inspection suggested that our carpets are not getting cleaned very well with the old sweeper. *District-wide air quality – We recently had an inspection by an indoor air quality specialist through a grant by the EPA. The inspector noted that the air exchange in the buildings is not enough. Upon checking this out, we found some systems were not turned on, some systems were broken down, and some areas had no systems at all. We have some systems working and are addressing the others as well as looking into getting systems put into the areas where there currently are none. Superintendent Rodden-Nord – I want to thank you for taking the time to put this together and for painting a realistic picture of what the cost would be for repair/replacement of some of these things. Denise – Thank you for trying to find the most cost effective way to do it. Jacque – Thanks for making us enough money to be able to do this stuff this year. Mike Bonner – Does anyone know what the cost of the Willamette stadium is? Superintendent Rodden-Nord – We could find out. Mike Bonner – I was just curious.










1.   Policy EBBCC – Use of Automated External Defibrillator (AED) – New Policy

2.   Policy GBC – Staff Ethics – Revised Policy

3.   Policy GDA – Educational Assistants – Revised Policy

4.   Policy IGBHB – Establishment of Alternative Education Programs – New Policy

5.   Policy IGBHE – Expanded Options Program – New Policy

6.   Policy IKF – Graduation Requirements – Revised Policy

7.   Policy INI – Animal Dissection – New Policy


Superintendent Rodden-Nord – As you start looking through the policies and things jump out at you, Mike had some good questions and thoughts about the policy regarding the defibrillators, go ahead and pass those things by me. We also saw in the graduation policy that something should have been much more prominently incorporated into the text instead of a footnote. That is what this is all about, for the board to take some time to look through those things and see if something isn’t clear or you just don’t like it.



X.   EXECUTIVE SESSION – ORS 192.660 (1)(h) – To consult with counsel concerning the legal rights and duties of a public body with regard to current litigation or litigation likely to be filed. – Executive Session minutes are not a part of this document.


The meeting adjourned at 9:26 p.m.






Superintendent / Clerk           Chair, Board of Directors